Monday, December 06, 2010

glass ceiling

What is up with that band Squidz and their underaged posse? Or The squids or whatever? What high school do they go to? They are kind of brats. One of them (a giant one) stood in front of me during the Mantles and then started IMing on his iphone like right in front of my face. And other annoying things. Mantles were good, though. If you don't have their Pink Information EP then you are missin' out. Here's a good quote from an article about them, about Mike's lyric-writing process:

For the band's upcoming EP, Olivares wrote lyrics by filling his notebooks with phrases from the Whole Earth catalog.

"It's just a huge catalog, from the '70s, '80s and early '90s, and they have everything, A through Z, about where to order books on how to build your own geodesic dome or how to survive in the wild or how to have sex or grow 'shrooms."

Olivares says he fits phrases pried from the WE catalog, like "glass ceiling," with others until it "sounds like a cool song."

The MidMo party was sooooo fun that I didn't take pictures (or text anyone) because I was enjoying myself. Here's a picture of the dessert table. I love the cover picture this month! Good job Scott and Tim and HeyLove and Karlos and Jessica.

Here are the toys we collected for the kids. So many great toys. And Niki was right about R/C country being cool. That place is so fun. I spent twice as much as I planned.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

where was raffles? Already booked?

Ed

Liv Moe said...

Yea, as you can imagine she's in high demand this time of year....

beckler said...

oh yeah, that reminds me, who won the raffle? i want my hornblower cruise!

DJ Rick said...

I was pretty happy with the way that show went on Friday. Mantles sounded great as always. It was great to see so many new people there, too. Gotta keep growing this thing 'til it's a break-even operation.

Squidz are on the right path as a band. But if we could IM at shows when we were 16 or 17, we might've done the same. Well...I know I wouldn't have because here it is, 2010, and I still refuse to get a cellphone. Tall dude was Sam. He is amenable to yielding upon a nudge or "excuse me".

Belligerent drunk dude was totally random. Fortunately, he wasn't too difficult to bounce outta there.

The next great show I hope you will love will be Sat 12/18 when the Wrong Words come to The Hub with Midnite Snaxx (ex-Trashwomen/Bobbyteens/Loudmouths), Patrone's new band Angora Debs, and the long overdue return of English Singles. Four bands, I know...but much equipment sharing.

beckler said...

The fact that I was surrounded by drunk bros who were kind of making fun of me in a way where they were pretending they were being friendly just snapped me back to high school. Not into it.

Anonymous said...

Best Midtown Monthly cover ever!

Niki

Anonymous said...

it would be so much better if Hub shows were only attended by people we know who act the way we like them to act

beckler said...

You mean not like dicks? Yes, that is always nice. I'm not even going so far as to say they were acting like dicks, just kind of like brats.

Anonymous said...

Hi anonymouse member of Squidz.

-miller