Tuesday, August 02, 2005

keep your hands off my dosa

To celebrate D.P.s bday we went to Kaveri, home of the famous buffet. I am not into the whole buffet "scene" (it's so overhyped right now), but they weren't even serving the buffet last night so we ordered from the menu. I find that when you go to a restaurant with a buffet and you want to order from the menu they usually exert pressure on you to just get the buffet. Starting off with a King Fisher vs. Taj Mahal tasting and I have to say that Taj Mahal won out. Both of these beers say that they're lager, but they tasted really different so I wonder if this is possible. Perhaps a beer expert can help me out. The King Fisher was skunky and I hate skunky beer. Kaveri specializes in Southern Indian (specifically Madras-ian) food, so I tried a dosa, which is a specialty of this region (I think, I'm almost entirely ignorant of the nuances of Indian food, sadly). A dosa is a thin crepe made with, in my case, lentil flour, but it can be made from other kinds of flour. It usually has a filling, I ordered the masala dosa, which was filled with a vegetable curry. I guess that they are commonly eaten for breakfast, and the filling in mine tasted like breakfast potatoes. It was good, but way too giant. They are only 5.50 and I'm eating mine for lunch today, too. I also got a samosa mixed with ground lamb, but it was pretty gamey. Most of the other people got various thalis, like chana masala and chicken tikka masala. Everyone liked their food, but most people felt overstuffed after, especially if they made the mistake of eating an entire doughnut soaked in honey at the end of the meal. Al ate more than he has ever eaten before. Good job Heckamax.

Then we had an impromptu listening party for the new chkchkchk single (verdict: take ecstasy with me is good, Heckamax sez "better than the original" but I'm not into Get Up. That song is already so good you can't fuck with it. I know the dudes thought it was "slept on" (I read that in the Fader I think) so maybe they wanted to re-introduce it to people, but it was a hit on the west coast and I remember it well)-anyways then off to the show at T-vendor. Chad and Kevin did their thing. Then Le Joshua went on. Their "thing" (everyone has a thing) is playing barefoot and let's just say they should change their name to Le Foot Odour. Yikes. They stunk up the venue for the rest of the night. Mika Miko has a new drummer so now they an all lady band. They were good. The energy was higher in the show in Melendez's garage, but they were still cute as little buttons. I guess that's sexist and I should be talking about their musicianship. Miller said they were "tight" and I think he was talking about their musicianship. They may get on the bill wednesday with chkchkchk in SF, which would be rad. If anyone will be talking to those guys they should put in a good word.

I hear that maverick venture capitalist Mario (of Plastic Idol records) is putting out the new Bananas single which will be "experimental". So look for that. Soon, hopefully?

5 comments:

Alice said...

kaveri is pretty tops. have you checked out the market next door? i think they also have video rentals.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Sorry I stood in front of you at the show. I tried to keep good posture so as to stay outta your sightlines.

Mika Miko's new drummer is awesome because she chokes up so far on the sticks. Jenna--the one who looks like LaVerne from "LaVerne & Shirley"--'s other band is playing my house on August 27th, and you should come to that 'cos it seems you like whatever's new on Not Not Fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh! And ditto on the foot odor of Le Joshua. I wanted to get outta there, but being so near the front, I felt that it would make them too disappointed to see people leaving.

I got their CD and it was about 200% better than their performance last night.

--Rick

Anonymous said...

I have, in fact, asked the band that "doesn't write singles" to do a 7" on Plastic Idol. Miller told me the songs for the record sound like "Bananas gone moan-wave."

You should come to the G Street Pub show next Tuesday, August 9.

Mario

beckler said...

only if you buy me a purple hooter