Friday, May 12, 2006

it's gonna take some time

Do you feel a hankering to hear the Denios song? You remember, take a peek at Denios, etc. Well, now they have a website that plays it. Something about Denios having a website is funny to me. They have pictures from the 40's (attention old-timey fans) and today. And they boldly claim to broast their own potato planks. I wonder if Auction Town is working on a website. They need to do a live cam of the mini donut guy.

There's a lot going on this weekend. Tonight is the Rose Melberg show at Fools. The song that streams on her website is so good! You should go to the show and buy her record.

Tomorrow is No Kill I at the Distillery with the Four Eyes. I didn't know about this show until yesterday. Hmm...it's a toss-up between this and Ashlee Simplson (ha I wrote that by accident but it works) at the May Fair. We'll see. Sunday I'm going to R. Kelly of course. The Kabinet is playing "Eat the document" a D.A. Pennebaker doc where he plays electric backed by the Band. From other footage I've seen of this era (in that Scorcese doc) I bet this will be....electric.

I can't believe I forgot the Bananas show tonight in Oakland. It has a crazy line-up and Joshua Ploeg will be cooking his excellent vegan grub, that reminds me, he's cooking a dinner in sac this week. You can probably go if you want to (and you should), it's a big benefit dinner at (I think) Troy Mighty's house. His website says to email him if you want to go.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the Distillery gig...

Actually, I think the Four Eyes aren't gonna make it due to a Joel's Family-related skedoolie problem. Still, STOVOKOR will be there and they are always great. There's another band too, from the Bay Area that I won't name here. The show is a BENEFIT! Six bucks. NKI was pretty well together in SF on Wednesday, which means they will probably shit the bed tomorrow.

Oh and there's a gig at Luna's tonight featuring yours' truly all alone (scary!) and the HELL OUTS (as in 'get the..') and the SPILLITT QUIKKERS. 6 bucks.

Also playing at the Fox and Goose:

The Terrible Secret
Noah Nelson
Nolan
Friday, May 12th

"Ed"

Anonymous said...

Wait, you're playing solo?!

miller

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I let Jimbo talk me into it. I am totally nervous as hell about the whole thing. (the Carrie line, "They're all gonna laugh at you!" keeps ringing in my head.)
Ed

beckler said...

just watch the rafters, ed!

Anonymous said...

The mystery band that Ed won't name is from Seattle. There was an unintentional rumble between some of No Kill I and them Wednesday night. Beer cans hitting heads, mics getting unplugged and a punch to the ear.

Jay's mom's birthday is this weekend (happy birthday!) so no Four Eyes.

Anonymous said...

A "rumble" huh? Are we time-warping back to West Side Story now?

Dave didn't mention that tomorrow's show is a BENEFIT. Benefitting those who desire benecificial amounts of beans.

Ed

Anonymous said...

Strange, there is going to be a wine bar in the Sac airport.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2006-05-11-smf-wine_x.htm

Now you can sip a delicious Russian River Valley Pinot Noir with your black bean burger from Chili's!

-m

Anonymous said...

I'm fascinated by broasting®, an American tradition since 1954.

It's a proprietary cooking method, for Pete's sake. I believe it's some sort of pressure fryer. The downside is, in order to use the word broasted® (or bro-tisserie®) you need to use the undoubtably nasty broaster® brand seasonings and recipes as well as the fascinating broasting® machine.

If anyone is in touch with Jeffrey Steingarten, tell him to order a broaster® and make his own broasted® chicken. I'd like to read that article.

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, pinot and beans.

I had pinot and chili once which is a combo I wouldn't recommend to just anyone.

Whose headlining the NKI show tomorrow?

-Liv

beckler said...

That wine bar idea is dumb!

Anonymous said...

I believe tomorrow will go: Stovokor, No Kill I, and the Seattle band will headline.

beckler said...

pearl jam?

Anonymous said...

I need beans cause they cost an arm and a leg here in kumamoto.I wish i could see geeky metal gods from Seattle in Sacto..Are they Bad Ass or just Bad.Can they kick a samurai`s ass?Yesterday i was walkin` downtown kumamoto about 10 am and saw this drunk guy with part of a suit on..He was like stumblin` into signs whether decidin to puke or piss..He would lurch forward as to vomit or pelvic forward as to piss.He finally decided to piss by shoe store in the mall wish i had a camera.At 10 am on most mornings downtown is full of folks that pulled an all nighter.Usually gangsters chain smoking and tossing the empty health yorgurt(it restarts your liver) drink empties at ya.Usually walking from the soaplands hunting for ramen.The rainy season started early so i am gonna stay home save money and listen to Can.So when rainy season stops i will not wanna stay home and hopefully do something that is awesome.Also my students wanna learn California English so hella(nocal),grippa(socal),awesome,tottally,like,grody,bitchen`,throw down,cut loose,let`s blow,rad--i dunno need some help here.Hey Ed i did an open mic it was rad until the bar owner turned on the computer drum machine to do "clapton`s" cocaine..The bar was called slowhand..Gambatte(good luck)Ed...Jay

Anonymous said...

Not to blow our own horn or anything, but the Alkali Flats have been doing the "Denios" theme for a year or so. That's a catchy number right there.

Easy, too!

I'll be there for you Ed...

charvey

Anonymous said...

Ahem,

Speaking of beans.... does anyone know the trick to making "fartless" beans? Whenever I make them from scratch in a crockpot they cause some rumblings in my tummy. I've heard there is a simple trick to it, I just don't know what it is.

Not that I ever fart of course,
Liv