Monday, November 20, 2006

carnitas monday

Wow. Twisted 88s on a friday at one am was quite an experience. I have to try to put it into words for midtown monthly but it will be hard. I'm not sure my descriptive powers are up to the task. That Jack Rose/Peter Walker show was cool. There was an enthusiastic, smallish crowd.

I ate at Tres Hermanas for the first time in years last night and it was fucking good. Better than I remembered. They've done some remodeling and they now have a full bar. I got a chicken enchilada with a very rich mole and a chili verde burrito that was the bomb. I got a taste of the carnitas taco and without ever having had the Vallejos carnitas (which I hear are the best) I'll say that the Tres Hermanas carnitas are the best I've had. So many crispy bits! And their house salad dressing is delicious also, although they could try a bit harder than strictly romaine and small tomato bits.

6 comments:

DB said...

I just had the carnitas at Vallejo's last night, and I give a decided edge to Tres.

Anonymous said...

The mole chicken at Tres is so good and it's big enough to take home half to use in an omelette the following morning. Great hangover breakfast!

Trader Joes sells a decent red mole sauce now and their carnitas aren't half bad when you heat them up in a pan instead of the microwave. Add the two things makes for a pretty awesome quick meal.

beckler said...

Have you ever seen Sergio sing? It made a lady I know swoon. Not me I swear.

Anonymous said...

Or an Ass Pirate.

Brew

Anonymous said...

Uh oh...at the mention of Sergio I feel a Smitty story coming on...

Patrone

Anonymous said...

Vallejo's carnitas gave me food poisening... so needless to say I will never eat meat at that restaurant ever again.