Thursday, November 30, 2006

hipster tots

Some Sactown mag peeps are going to be in Insight today. I'll try to listen. Maybe I should call in and demand equal time for midtown monthly? The program description says that it is aimed at a "younger, hipper crowd". Does that mean the office lobbies of younger, hipper dentists and doctors? We at midtown monthly are aiming for an even younger, hipper crowd. Like babies. Cool babies.

KW reviews a place in Roseville. Can we at least stick to the city of sac most of the time? This is great for readers in roseville but with a jillion Mexican places in sac that I haven't tried yet (a billion on Franklin alone) I am not heading out to the boonies to try one. The Bites column this week is really good. That's interesting about the SMUD defeat. That seemed like such a clear cut great idea that I was puzzled as to why it didn't pass. It seems like people would catch on that PGandE was spending so much money and spreading lies to defeat it, but I guess most people only knew what PGandE told them.

All you reading types out there, when was the last time you hit up the Book Collector? Don't forget about it. Too bad they don't carry US magazine or I could go there more often.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That rules that there's a team called the Sacramento Heatwave!!

-miller

Anonymous said...

Be the first to catch the elusive hipster fetus demographic! All the kids are hot for stem cells these days.

Anonymous said...

I do like The Book Collector, and on the rare occasion that I want a book that isn't a comic book it's where I head. I love the little Poems For All books Richard puts out. He's even talking about using one of my stories in one, which makes more quite happy.

Anonymous said...

book collector is great. I live 3 blocks away so I usually go there first before time tested.

Most of the time, I just find randmon books there rather than what I was looking for.

Nice staff too. Same goes for Time Tested. Last time at TT, I ended up in a 30min conversation about Phillip K Dick and all the writers who rip him off.

Hooray for books.
C

leon said...

Since I'm stuck out here, I'll be trying Mas for lunch today. so nyeah!

Anonymous said...

I was hoping a blog as provocative and critical as Heckasac would have more to say about the advent of Sactown, although the criticism that's offered is sarcastically valid: no reason to go for the fetus demo, cause Sactown has completely overshot its so called younger, hipper audience.

But why has it missed? For one, content. Do hip twentysomethings really give a fuck about how medicore Ron Artest's rap album is? Do they really want to read articles about architectural design? Do they crave to be portrayed in grip and grin shots not seen since the likes of Comstock's?

I think not. And so a gaping hole in the Sacramento periodical publishing world still remains to be filled. Who will cater to these hungry children, these cash poor twentysomethings with little disposable income? The News and Review? Midtown Monthly? Heckasac?

Anybody?