Friday, October 09, 2009

chawan mushi RIP

Have a great weekend everybody!

I just realized that Ricksha closing means there is nowhere in Sac to get chawan mushi. That's this savory custard that is super good. Lame.

Don't forget to listen to Dan on KFBK today at 4:40. I'm embarking on a movie project in which I'm going to watch 9 of director Michael Haneke's favorite movies, listed in his recent New Yorker profile (which I can't link online because you need a subscription?). Oy, is it an arty list. It's to get me pumped for his new movie, The White Ribbon. He hasn't had one since the amazing Cache in 2005. I'm not counting his remake of Funny Games which was a terrible idea and which I still haven't seen.

Anyway, yeah have a great weekend. There's a good show at The Hub tonight.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Time of the Wolf" is SO awesome. The pre-CGI special effects are the best.

"Cache" and "La Pianiste" were both amazing. The ending of the later has stuck with me for years. A total mind-fuck in a great way.

DKK

P.S. Have you seen that guy Jamal Duval in the new A&P Quarterly's film reviews? Pretty hilarious stuff like, "When the opening shot of a film shows someone getting woke up by having a flash light shined in their face, you know you're in for some heavy shit."

beckler said...

No, can I borrow an issue?

The first film on his list that I'll be watching is a Bresson film that sounds like it will include heartbreaking donkey torture. Nobody tell Nicola.

Anonymous said...

I'll be downstairs listening to records.

-miller

michele h said...

Au hazard Balthasar!!!

-m

Anonymous said...

Scott's making the right move sitting that one out.

Ben

Anonymous said...

Except listening to records might also mean listening to tapes, which might mean things like "Oakland Colloseum 1984: Jerry nails it" and such. Total hipster.

Jed

yolkie said...

Funny Games is a movie I saw and loved, but knew no one would like it. (No one mostly meaning Tower customers) Anyway I liked it.

beckler said...

I saw the original version, and I thought it was OK, but one of the director's worst. But after I had already seen it I just wasn't interested in an exact remake with an American cast. It's so grim and disturbing, and it was hard to sit through the first time. That's why I didn't see the remake.

beckler said...

But it's in my queue! Maybe it's better than the original.

Josh Nice said...

jerry nails it LOL

mt.st.mtn. said...

Anyone know what that sushi place across from the Flame Club is? non-descript white building with a white vinyl banner out front for a sign. Don't remember seeing it before, maybe new?