Monday, October 26, 2009

various miscellaneous

Man, the Argento movie at Movies On A Big Screen was so fucking awesome I can't believe there were like 8 people there!!?!?!?!?! It was nuts, which kind of goes without saying with Argento, but in a really good way. Weird pacing, flat affect, insect closeups, impeccably beautiful Armani outfits for the whole cast, music by Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Goblin and Bill Wyman(?), mutant children, tub of body parts, you know, the usual.

The Rose Melberg/Dreamdate/Kellarissa show was so fun. Knock Knock had to cancel due to flu. Dreamdate were getting nervous when they started noticing that all of Sacramento is ill right now. We're the illest! That joke made me cringe inside.
I like that it looks like Joe is posing for the camera.
Monday Brew Awareness
Whole Foods has a really obscure beer right now, and for only ten bucks. It's brewed by the shadowy genius "The Prof". His brewery is in a small town, but it's probably really close to Ghent (well I guess everything in Belgium is pretty close), because he brewed this beer to go with the cheese that is made in a shop in Ghent called Het Hetspinkel. Whole Foods is the only one importing it, and I think they might even be selling the cheese, but I didn't know that when I bought it. I'd love to try it together. This beer is tasty, and the most remarkable thing about it is its strong pineapple aroma.
My new thing is to make pickled red onions to have sitting around to put on stuff, like a turkey sandwich, or the cat. This style is from Diana Kennedy, and it's just diluted vinegar (2 parts water, one part vinegar) with peppercorns, ancho chili, sliced garlic, and most importantly, lots of dried oregano.

In this Fall-ish weather, a girl's fancy turns to ramen. Don't forget about Edokko 2! It is worth the trek. This is the wonton men. Shio ramen with pork wonton and delectable pork slices. It's pretty much two meals for $6.95.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad that I had to cancel. How was the show? How was Rose Melberg? How was the after party? I also wanted to go to Creepers but started to feel shitty. I did notice "Moonchild" by Maiden being played
during the preview.

Bullshit.

-Al "heckamax the doctor told me its not swine flu" Maxwell

beckler said...

That after party was very mellow. It involved red wine and me lip synching badly to Kate Bush. Pretty much a standard night at my house. We really missed Knock Knock at the show, but Dreamdate love coming to Sac, so you should just set up another show with them.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Not swine flu.

I enjoyed Creepers as much as Suspiria. Suspiria is more of a visual feast (as in: EVERY scene looks amazing) but Creepers had a truly insane/absurd plot (a chimp & a fly are part of the crime solving team), 14 year old Connelly & the best Bee Gees shirt in the world. Too bad more people weren't there - Argento movies rule on the big screen.

-miller

Anonymous said...

Dammit! Creepers sounds awesome! This sickness sucks! I want to see Times New Viking and go to the Maize MAze and make my Dengar costume so I can go to Joel and Hillary's! I need to rage!

Bullshit!!!!!!!!

-heckamax "not convinced that its not swine flu although the doctor told me on the phone it wasn't" maxwell

Anonymous said...

I hear Dengar got the swine flu from that bastard Zuckuss. More like Suckuss.

-Natalie.

beckler said...

I heard the maize maze got knocked down by God.

Charles Albright said...

here is a math equation

dreamdate = my new favorite band

charles

beckler said...

i checked it. it adds up.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm a dreamdate superfan.

Anonymous said...

If I was a dog I would be humping Dreamdate's leg. Was that too gross?

-H. Conway Esq