Monday, November 23, 2009

NOT a dim sum slut

Hey look, BAR reviewed Thai Thai Express. I recommended it to him when I interviewed him. I'm glad he liked it. On that note, I had dim sum at New Canton on Sunday and they were really bringing it. I saw some new (to me) dishes, such as fried squid. Which I got and which was a mistake because it was soooo oily. But most of the food was delicious.

Yay! Thanksgiving! I only work Monday and Tuesday this week. Don't forget the Hmong New Year Festival starts on Thursday at Cal Expo. Admission is five bucks and the food, music and fashion are out of this world! Here's my post from last year to refresh your memories.

6 comments:

fft said...

i went to the new asian pearl on sunday. blew my mind.

michele h said...

Yeah, Asian Pearl is good! It has the exact same dinner menu as New Lai Wah, but I think dim sum is their specialty.

-Michele

beckler said...

Asian Pearl? What is this you speak of? Is there really going to be a hot pot restaurant?

fft said...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/asian-pearl-2009-sacramento

it's New Canton's new sister dim sum palace just off 65th. opened in Sept., I think. Huge; probably seats 250-350. small dim sum starts at $2.50; specials are $6. haven't had dinner there, just brunch. it was super packed but i was seated as a party of two in less than 5 minutes.

olivia and trisha said...

Are you around this week? I want to go to Hmong festivities on Friday!
-olivia

michele h said...

Yeah, it's part of the Culinary Wonderland empire, which is why it has the same dinner menu as NLW.

Went to a Sichuan restaurant in Richmond (which was delish) and in the same mall were another Asian Pearl and another Macau Cafe. It was weird to see identical looking Richmond versions of my favorite places in Sac. Their Macau menu looked pretty different, though. And their Asian Pearl packed to the f'in gills.

-m