Thursday, April 15, 2010

one more post

OK, I lied, one more post to tide you over. Here's a fine feline female. Looking slim, you will see.
If you need easy, Mexi-crudites, just sprinkle lime and chili salt on jicama, cucumbers, and radishes. And mangoes! Why not?
OK, here's the real beer nerdery. Get in the car right now, because the Davis Co-op just got some Cantillon in! They have the Kriek and what's the other one? The Grand Cru Bruocsella? The beer dude at the co-op is putting it out today and he thinks it will be gone by the end of the weekend. Plus, it's picnic day, so I'm sure you are heading to Davis anyways to see the Four Eyes on the KDVS float.
They also got this Mikkeller beer, which I haven't tried yet. This beer will go fast, too. Mikkeller has already had to release a statement about the controversy surrounding this beer. Kinda silly, but they have a cool website, if you're interested.
I posted these last year, but here are some pictures from when I visited Cantillon. If you are ever in Brussels, you have to go!

Here's the brewer, Jeane-Pierre Van Roy.
Here's the outside, obviously.
Here's the brew we purchased at the brewery and drank happily.
OK, that's all for now.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Davis on Saturday:

Middle-Age Rage Pt. 2

San Kazakgascar
The Universal Steve
Smoke Shovelers

Delta of Venus
Early show -5pm, free
Probably going to be outside on the deck. Come on down and see former members of Acme Rocket Quartet, Thin White Rope, Curbfeelers, Chance the Gardener, Thornucopia, etal..

Jed

Anonymous said...

Taylors had some Pliny last time I was in. I also picked up a bottle of Guldenberg from De Ranke. That was an encouraging find.

Love the pics of Cantillon and thanks for the heads up on the stock. Might have to take a pass on that though. I'm saving all my scratch for some Odonata Saison later this month!!

HN

Anonymous said...

Looking really forward to the Odonata Saison myself.

-miller

Anonymous said...

Have you ever had anything from De Glazen Toren? I found their saison at Perry's in Livermore. It was fantastic.

I've been totally stuck on Jolly Pumpkin's Oro and La Roja, since that NY Times article that was posted here. I really want to try that Good Harbor Golden Ale from Leelanau, but can't find it anywhere.

HN

Anonymous said...

Taylor's has the Oro now!

Anonymous said...

I've had 4 or 5 from Glazen Toren & I'd say I'm 50/50 on them. I really like the Saison & the Winterscotch (which sounds like something I might not like actually!) but I don't really care for their Dubbel or Tripel. I'm pretty picky about those styles though. When they get even a little heavy handed they tend to lose me.

I want to try some Leelanau beers too - I've never even seen one.

I recently had a chance to try a glass of La Roja from the first commercial bottling (which is around 5 years ago). Not only was it the best Jolly Pumpkin I've ever tasted, it was the best aged beer I've ever had!

-miller

Anonymous said...

That's very cool... I'd have to bury a case in the yard to get one to last that long.

I love the international identity crisis in that Mikkeller. A type of beer created by the brits, made popular in india, done in an american style by a danish brewery?!

Thanks for the tip, Anonymous.

HN

Anonymous said...

Might as well add "and brewed in Belgium" to that list! Mikkeller brews a lot of their beer at DeProef - at least for now.

-miller

Anonymous said...

^^^ even better!

FYI, I didn't see any Oro Calabaza at Taylor's. I didn't a week ago either?

HN

Anonymous said...

I went to Bottleworks in Seattle and loaded up. I mostly bought Pac NW stuff. That place is great, a beer store with 5 taps in back.

gbomb

beckler said...

I think Taylor's has the Jolly Pumpkin Oro in the back. Just ask, hopefully no secret knock or password required.

Anonymous said...

Bottleworks is awesome! They have a pub too called Brouwer's - tons of good taps there.

-miller

Anonymous said...

I had a nice Ayinger Bräu-Weisse there, because I am a chick and that's what we drink.

g