Friday, April 23, 2010

quick, sha na na is playing!

If you're like me, when you think about asparagus you also think: Blue Oyster Cult. That's right, it's the Stockton asparagus festival this weekend and Blue Oyster Cult is playing it tomorrow. The kicker? Sha Na Na is playing this afternoon. At fucking 4 pm?!?!>?! And I JUST found out. I don't think I can make it. Anyways, adult admission is 12 bucks and Stockton really isn't that far. Has anyone been to this festival? I hope it's not like the Dixon lamb festival, in that it had no lamb.

The Davis Co-op already sold out of all of its Cantillon but hopefully they will get more soon. I cracked the kriek last night (look at that pink head!) and it was scrumpdiliumptious. So much cherry flavor up front and so much subtle funk in the back. Ew. What a phrase. Feel free to use that for your band name.
Magpie always delights me. This is steelhead trout with potato, bacon, and golden beet green hash. The veggies were fragrant with toasted cumin. The crispy skin on the trout was the best part.
They were kind enough to send out a complimentary dessert at the end. It's a grapefruit semifreddo, and I loved the bitter note from the grapefruit but I really hate any hint of white chocolate on anything. It's sprinkled with it. But thanks for letting me try it!
Here's the plant pot I got for ten bucks at a good estate sale. Please always let me know if you know of any estate sale! Who doesn't like a potted cat?
answer: jerks

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pussy and pot! Nice score.

Casey said...

They have plenty of asparagus & don't forget the E. Coli water. That should see lots of tickets.

Anonymous said...

Tonight at Harlow's: Subtlefunk.

-miller

KW said...

Shoot, the estate sale for my mom was last week, I should have told you! I think you were out of town, though. We did keep a ton of vintage vinyl that we'll be sorting through (and getting rid of some of it--let me know if you want a crack at it).

The lady who ran our estate sale has a pretty great website with her sales listed and copious pictures. Check her out: estatesaleshelp.com

Anonymous said...

We went to see Joan Jett at the Asparagus Festival a couple years back. She was awesome, of course! The weather was perfect too, much like it promises to be this weekend. There's really not a whole lot to see/experience, but it was a fun time overall. Missed the deep-fried asparagus on account of a wicked line, but beer/wine made up for it. And Joan Jett....rowwwrrr.

Mario S.

undercover caterer said...

I've been wanting to go to the Asparagus festival for years but it always falls on a weekend I'm busy. I think it's pretty high on the deep-fried version.

For estate sales, sign up for the newsletters at Jennie Krause and Schiff Estate sales. I probably shouldn't have told you that, now I'll have to fight even more people for the cool stuff.

Charles Albright said...

"We went to see Joan Jett at the Asparagus Festival a couple years back."

I was there! She was rad. Crimson and Clover was off the chain.

Question: Does Babs pose on command? She's tooooooo cute!

Charles

Anonymous said...

3 Cantillons on tap at Trappist this Wednesday!

JD

Anonymous said...

Jennie Krause (estatesaleshelp.com) is the best. Seriously.

Having said that, no one should go to any estate sale until *after* I've been there...

Lurch