Friday, December 01, 2006

food! i'm hungry

Finally, I can post. I hate when actual work gets in the way. I went to Siam restaurant on Franklin last night, on a yelp recommendation from Lisa D. This place is the bomb! There are dishes that you can't find anywhere else, like frog legs and duck noodle soup (both of which I want to try and will go back for soon). We got the drunken noodle, which was far superior to the oversalted mushy mess that it can be at other places. It had some heat and nice firm noodles. We got a green curry that was also spicy and good, and roasted duck on a pile of vegetables that was delicious but there was really barely any duck on the platter. That's usually the problem with duck, I guess, it's all bones and fat. And delicious skin. We started off with miang kum, which is a salad that I love (you take a lettuce leaf and load it up with a shrimpy/tamarindy sauce-at least I think that's what it is-peanuts, big chunks of ginger, red onion, dried shrimp, and best of all, toasted coconut). What a great restaurant!

Also, we passed a place called Mariscos Mazatlan that is right near it. Has anyone been there? I really want to try it. I'm hoping they have smoked marlin tacos!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

believe it or not this place actually used to be even better but it changed hands a couple years ago.

Unknown said...

hey hecka!

youre going to love japan when you come over. i swear, the food is unreal. ive eaten so well and for way cheaper than i ever imagined. last night was a full dinner, club and getting absurdly smashed on suntory and kirin for about 40 dollars. unreal!

Anonymous said...

shit, you can do that in vietnam for about 4.

jd

Anonymous said...

I just posted a review of Mariscos Mazatlan on yelp. Nothing as exotic as smoked marlin, but still a good little place...

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reccomendation on Siam me and Baldwin ate the hell out of it last night.
-natalie.