Thursday, December 14, 2006

what am I?

Let me tell you, making schmaltz and chopped liver is not for the faint of heart. Vegetarians may want to stop reading here. First, I had to cut up all the yellow, bumpy chicken skin and fry it down. At no point did this turn into something delicious that I would like to snack on as the websites assured me it would. I got the fat from that and then dumped out the vat of chicken livers to broil it. Taylor's had snuck four chicken hearts in there to pad the outrageous bill (1.61) nice try Taylors. The liver bled and just generally looked disgusting and was not cooked in the requisite time. But I was wary of overcooking so we threw the rare livers in the cuisinart and pummeled them into a stinky paste. Then I cooked some diced onions in the schmaltz, salted and peppered, and sauteed the liver paste for a minute or two. Back into the cuisinart with three hard-boiled eggs and you have something that looks pretty gross. I have not yet tried it because it's supposed to sit in the fridge for a while. Last night I started fretting that I would somehow give the hanukah guests salmonella, so I will have to test it first tonight and see if I die. The liver seemed to be fully cooked by the end. I was right next to Teremok yesterday so I should have just run in and bought their chopped liver!

4 comments:

fft said...

OMG, dégueulasse!

Anonymous said...

Ok, complete non sequitur, but have you been to "The Kitchen"? Good? Bad? I never really hear much about it and I have an opportunity to go soon.
-Alisha

beckler said...

I've heard very very good things about it. I want to go but I don't want to pay the high price. Getting it paid for would be ideal.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that is the only reason why I am going...can't pass up a free meal! I rarely hear people talk about it and there were only 3 yelp reviews. I am looking forward to checking it out.
-Alisha