Monday, December 18, 2006

she's phoking amazing!


How much do I love Edokko 2? So much that even though they were not answering their phones on sunday I somehow convinced myself that that must be the wrong number (despite the fact that I checked the phone book and called information and called them about 20 times) and drove all the way out to Greenhaven anyway in my desperate attempt for a sunday ramen breakfast. They open at five on sunday but I drew the line at waiting outside the door for five hours. Soooo...I ended up at Pho King on stockton. It was very good. I wish I could say that it was PhoKing Amazing! but that would be going a bit too far. I got the lemongrass noodle soup with pork and beef. That sounds innocuous but the result was rather scary. There were some cuts of beef that looked frightening (with globular bits) but tasted like normal, yummy beef. The pork cut didn't really have any meat, just white, tough goosebumped skin and tendons and stuff. The scariest thing was an exactly rectangular chunk of something that we concluded was either congealed and sliced blood or a chunk of liver or kidney? Can anyone help me out here with what it might have been? There was no mention of it on the menu. I tasted it and it tasted vaguely iron-ish but not as strong as liver. The broth and noodles were really good and I was proud that I didn't get grossed out. Smiller got flank steak pho that had a good tamarind heavy broth.

I'm going to Joanna Newsom at the great american in sf tonight! Yay!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

umm Becky, that was congealed blood. I always hate it when I order pho not knowing that it comes with the meats you just described. I can handle eating cows foot in menudo or baked sheep cabeza (head) or even blood sausage from Corti, but just cant hang with the bloodtofu. You get major props for trying it. Has anybody tried mountain oysters?
larry

Anonymous said...

I went to a wild food festival in NZ and they were serving mountain oysters. The bulls penis on a bun looked even worse. I took a bite of a sheeps eyeball that day and it still makes me want to throw up in my mouth. I just don't get the appeal of eating strange meats/body parts.

Alisha

beckler said...

The blood thing actually doesn't gross me out that much. I'm just surprised how mild it tasted compared to liver. I would expect it to taste like liver times ten. I still maintain my statement that I will try absolutely anything except brains.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I'm so jealous about the J.N. show. How was it?

Here is a link to the very long, pretty decent interview she did for Arthur Magazine. Scroll down a bit and download Part 1, which contains the entire interview:

http://www.arthurmag.com/news/index.php

Hopefully lots of people will show up for the Alela Diane show at Delta of Venus tonight.

Anonymous said...

Man, I loves liver: liverwurst/braunschweiger sammiches, grilled liver + onions, bbq chicken livers from the Chinese deli, etc...

Pres,
SASSF

Anonymous said...

I used to take care of an old Jewish man whose daughter would bring him a quart of chopped liver. It was really good. It said it came from the Bel Air market on Arden, but I've never been able to find it there.

One Christmas my mom decided to make tamales the "traditional" way so she went to Franks Meats and ordered a pig head. My younger brothers & sister freaked out when she unwrapped it on the kitchen counter. They said that if she cooked it they wouldn't eat the tamales. So my mom lied and said that she was going to make a second batch without the head. Come xmas morn we all ate the tamales and the kids were all "wow mom, these tamales are the best ever!" Little did they know.

larry