Thursday, December 07, 2006

me me me

The news and review is all up on my tip this week (at least bites is)-yes I am linking to a column that mentions me, things are getting very self-referential around here, but enough about this, let's talk about me!

I made chili verde from the Bledsoe's pork shoulder that I bought at the famer's market (which required some butchering on my part, at Bledsoe's they really just give you a hunk of meat, skin attched). I used JD's recipe from the comments on an earlier post and it turned out remarkably good for my first try! It seemed like something you'd get at a restaurant, only spicier (I added two whole serranos). I also made bagels using the Montreal recipe that G linked to, and they turned out ok except I followed the baking directions and they charred on the bottom and set off the smoke alarm! Maybe it's my oven, I'll have to try again. I do think you'd need a wood-burning oven to duplicate the chewy texture that sets Montreal bagels apart, though, and that would set off the smoke alarm for sure.

I am starting my eastern Euro eating rampage tonight. No goulash is safe!

KW reviewed a downtown restaurant and I learned a new word (soignee)

9 comments:

cakegrrl said...

I have heard of using lye to get the chewy texture, like commercial bakers to do make pretzels. Scary/risky, but cool...

beckler said...

i actually use lye in all my cooking. it's more to slowly poison smiller than for the chewy texture, but that's nice, too

Anonymous said...

so....tired.....


-miller

Anonymous said...

You have reached a status in life where the news and review watches out for your opinion on their opinion on taints.
Fame, you are in fact going to live forever.
-natalie

beckler said...

taints-hot
shaved labia-not

flashing the labes is totally over, flashing the taint is the hot new celebrity trend!

I am embarrassed that they quoted me about the stripper article being hot, but on some level I am embarrassed about almost everything I do (and indeed my very existence), so I guess I'll just deal with it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe a pre-heated pizza stone would help with your bagel problem? Haven't tried it but just an idea...actually it might make it worse.

beckler said...

are you talking about my labia problem or my bagel problem? yeah, maybe that would help, i guess that is more like a wood-burning oven, right? i can try it next time. i suspect that smillers oven might not regulate the temp very well it seems to have hot spots. i have chosen to slowly poison him in retaliation.

Anonymous said...

Oh, so it's MY oven now?!

so.....sleepy.....

-miller

beckler said...

you are much like your oven in that you have hot spots. sorry to everyone else who reads this.