Thursday, December 14, 2006

super rambling post-try to make it through


Jeez, Darell Corti is always one step ahead of me (and like ten steps on the evolutionary ladder). I thought I was the first to hunt down Stochniy's Russian restaurant (the sign sez Russian, the internet listing says Ukrainian) but that by now legendary (in Sac) sfgate article (linked above, scroll down for addresses) mentions his recommendation of it. I tried it out yesterday for my Midtown Monthly article. The hot borscht was great and really hit the spot on a gloomy day. They give you yeasty, fresh rolls with the soup and a garlic dipping sauce for the them. The stuffed cabbage was also delicious. It was stuffed with very fatty ground beef. I accidentally ordered sweet cheese blinis, which weren't very good. I should have gotten a savory type but I panicked when I was ordering. We got a funny "salad" that consisted of mayo, peas, crab meat, potatoes, and chicken. Not bad bud I wished that it was Junes macaroni salad instead. Man, I have been eating a lot of stuffed cabbage lately for this article. The stuffed cabbage at Cafe Marika is also wonderful. I think I am starting to resemble a stuffed cabbage and my hair smells like chopped liver. Sorry for giving all the dudes reading this a boner at work. Just cover it with the Peterson report until it goes away.

After spending a day in North Highlands thrifting and eating yesterday let me tell you that the Russian ladies can do things with their hair that Americans can only dream of. It really pained me to have to pass a completely empty Pattaya Thai because I have to write that damn article! And I officially decided that Deseret is the best thrift store in the greater Sacramento area. It is cheap and it has great stuff of all types. I picked up an old Levi's womans plaid shirt with a matching strip of fabric that I can use in my hair! For like a buck. And like I've said before, they always have rad handmade stuff because of the industrious Mormon women that stock the place. And old lady there told Smiller that they sometimes take the jigsaw puzzles home and do them to make sure all the pieces are there! We scored a puzzle that is the poster for Dr. Zhivago. A search for the Dr. Zhivago image led me to the rad fan art above. There's lots more where that came from.

Speaking of Cortis (which someone once called "that place you're always talking about" which didn't make me feel like the most exciting person in the world) they are now importing the products of the famous and previously illegal Iberian pig. When chorizos are outlawed...you know the rest. The celebrity couple that US Magazine have dubbed "willa" (actually this is something I accidentally call them all the time-when I'm not calling them CrossField) bought some of the salami and I tried it. It tasted...acorn fed?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean Elly & Willa?

-miller

Alice said...

i bought a board game at desseret once called 'battle of the sexes.' the lady at the register told me she wanted to buy that game. i think it might be more fun for mormons. it didn't come with instructions so we just asked the boys questions about girl stuff and asked the girls questions about boy stuff. leon knows a lot about girl stuff let me tell you. and katy knew the bulk of the answers from the questions about macho past times.

Anonymous said...

>they are now importing the products of
>the famous and previously illegal
>Iberian pig.

From 19th and Capitol?

--The Basque Patrol

Anonymous said...

Can I just point out how incredibly cool...or scary it was that Leon knew almost every single girl stuff question when we played "battle of the sexes". That game sucked.

Alisha

Anonymous said...

OK, what the hell do I have to do to get Skipper to cook me some pig while he's home for the holidays? At Smitty's house because of course the Skipper isn't allowed at mine.

gbomb

Anonymous said...

Beckler,

I think the one we got was just the Lomo Iberico, not the acorn fed. They were out of everything but this tiny butt of whatever one we got. It was far better than the FraMani, which to me tastes like old scrambled eggs and feet. So far the best salami was the one my boss smuggled from Rome for us in October.

Does anybody else think FraMani tastes bad? Maybe I'm nuts.

Willa CrossField

leon said...

I totally pwn3d battle of the sexes.

Anonymous said...

Any kasha stuffed cabbage? Delicious pierogies?

werenotdeep said...

I hardly knew any of the answers. What does that mean?

Also, that drawing looks like Omar Sharif with Conan O'Brian's old hair.

Anonymous said...

just the mention of russian food gets me excited...sooo...

real russian food is really really great but for some reason it has a bad reputation that i've never been able to figure out. fast food russian bliny need to come to the us. chainaya lozhka is a russian chain but it is only in st pete i think.

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/europe/russia/st-petersburg/restaurant-detail.html?vid=1154654652782

it would catch on here. it is kind of odd that there is only one russian restaurant that i know of in sacto. there used to be a kind of russian cafe, on the corner of J and like 9th where that new hotel is going in, that served borscht and a couple of other things. it wasn't on the corner actually...it was kind of attached to the lobby of the office building.

i've been searching for a georgian restaurant but they are hard to find. there is one in san diego called pomegranate i think. corti bros has a couple of semi-sweet red georgian wines that are pretty good. something that would be good and easy to make would be khachapuri. this place basically rules:

http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=4433

-greg