Friday, December 08, 2006

pub rankings

OK, so I shelled out 3.99 for Sactown mag (you're welcome, JV). It's not bad. There is stuff to read and look at. There is a minimum of "I can't wait till Sac is cool and we can stop hanging our heads in shame" rhetoric or arena cheerleading. It is a giant step up from Sacramento magazine. I just had about 15 minutes to read it in my car, so maybe I'm mistaken, but the food coverage in this issue seemed to be mostly limited to blurbs about a bunch of local places. Oh, and one little feature on things that aren't on the menu that you can order in local restaurants (i.e. spaghetti with tuna at Bibas cuz Willie Brown used to order it). I think it needs more food writing, but maybe I skipped an article accidentally. There was nothing in it that made me cringe or roll my eyes. Overall, this is where I place it on my rankings of local pubs:
1)Sacramento News and Review
2)Midtown Monthly (slightly biased)
3)Alive and Kicking
4)SacTown
5)Sacramento Biz Journal
6)Because People Matter
7)The rantings of USA against racism
8)Senses
9)B.L. Kennedy's 60 page poem about the instant that Jim Morrison died
10)That graffiti in the alley behind the Java Lounge that says "Gett up off my nutts"
11)Sacramento magazine
12)The Sacramento Bee

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the Bonn Lair.

lol.

-miller

beckler said...

that took me a few secs. see, people use so many abbreves this days that it's ridic.
-chillaxin-

Anonymous said...

I picked up SacTown last week and have to admit that I learned something new. I had no idea that Ray Eames was a woman. My aunt and uncle who are both designers thought R. Eames was a man!

-Alisha

beckler said...

did you think charles and ray were brothers? ray is an unusual name for a girl. i got into reading about the eameses (probably at sac state because there library had art books i could get at) and I read that she went to sac high and sac city!

leon said...

is it just me, or do you hear a rim-shot after every blog comment made by miller?

badum-ching!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I thought they were brothers. I actually feel sort of guilty for making that assumption. I must be sexist!

-Alisha

Anonymous said...

"9)B.L. Kennedy's 60 page poem about the instant that Jim Morrison died

10)That graffiti in the alley behind the Java Lounge that says "Gett up off my nutts" "

BWA HA HA HA HA.
Made me laugh at my desk at my terrible day job, which is a most valuable thing. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure #9 "Gett up off my nuts" isn't the #1 local pub(lication). It seems to acurately describe many folks feeling towards the local establishment. At least it expresses one's feeloing succintly(sic).

Anonymous said...

Damn, you guys didn't you that Ray and Charles were married and were largely responsible for modern industrial design?! They lived in the Case Study House #8 in Pacific Palisades. Man, I love Eames designs.

Ray was part of the Kaiser family and yes, is from Cali.

Surely, you have seen the Power of 10 movie she and her hubbie did?

amanda

Anonymous said...

I like the graffiti that says "JAZZ HANDS" around 20th and J or so.

Anna

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to buy a can of flat clearcoat and spray it over the "Gett up off my nutts" dumpster to preserve it for posterity. I'm surprised it's lasted this long without getting rurnt by taggers or other silly kids.

It always brings a smile when I drive that alley.

Love,
D's Nutz

Anonymous said...

You're no longer required to subscribe to it as they nixed me for the next issue, the fuckers.

-sac

Anonymous said...

Saturday--I ate organic horse.It was a work end of the year party with way too much beer.They didn`t serve coke and one ex-pats got made he`s needs it in his whiskey.He also bet me a millon yen if james garner was in the rockford files.I thought it was the dude from natural.Next year i`m goin` kosher....jay

beckler said...

well, as long as the horse is organic (and grass fed) i'm cool with it. i can't believe sactown axed you already! it's now fallen to one spot below the gett up off my nuts graffiti.

leon said...

To get on sactown mags nutz with a discount subscription, use promotion code DGY02

Josh Nice said...

i got really sick on horse sashimi in 1995.

Anonymous said...

midtown monthly is worth about how much it costs.

beckler said...

way to think up a dis like four days later? is that the best you could do. here's my response: your opinion carries as much weight as your name. i thought of that in less than a second!