Thursday, June 14, 2007

juice! juice! juice!

No, please don't eat me!

I know I haven't been writing about food much lately. A lot of my eating out has been in pursuit of my July MM column, so I haven't wanted to write about it for fear of getting scooped. I'm being paranoid, I know. I have a question for you bagel lovers out there. Best bagels in Sac? I have a new frontrunner to announce today. It's Manhattan bagel co on 47th and H. Damn good. I think Sacramento Baking bagels are crap, but I like their bread. Bella Bru is OK. I don't know about New York Bagel Boyz. I still try to make it to Lazslo's when I can to get his smoked salmon. It's a damn shame that there is nowhere in town to pick up both salmon and a bagel at the same time.

Other than that, I have been eating healthy as hell at home, with wheat berries and such and I am getting a little bored with that. I bought a juicer at a thrift store and have been juicing as much as possible. fresh carrot/apple/orange/and/or/beet is like the best thing ever invented. also the best thing? grilling golden trout from the davis co-op. it puts salmon to shame.

7 comments:

ACK said...

I agree. I think bella bru bagels are just "ok". I think my favorite place is Manhattan Bagels/Sacramento Bagels on H street. I used to like the bagel place on 24th, but they went down hill.

fft said...

What about that place on Broadway and 24th where they misspelled bagels as "bagels" on the sign facing north?

I really hope the H Street place doesn't actually serve Manhattan's bagels. I worked there once when I was 16; it was crap that arrived frozen in boxes.

Anonymous said...

Manhattan Bagels (is it even still called that?) looks like it's constantly on the verge of going out of business - but the bagels are easily the best I've had since Bagful of Bagels got rid of their bagel oven years & years ago. What's up with Taylor's bagels? I'd think they would have better ones but whatever brand it is that they usually carry is the breadiest! Soft as a damn hamburger bun.

-miller

fft said...

Shit, I'm such a badass speller I can't even spell things incorrectly when I want to: It's "bagles."

Anonymous said...

I used to really love river city bagles, but I had to break up with it cause it turned out that I had a bagle addiction and it was just enabling me.

Miss B

Anonymous said...

I've read a bunch of stuff on the Hmong/CIA battles vs. the commies and Vang Pao's exploits are indeed pretty legendary. The Lao govt. needs to move on and stop fucking with Hmong for sure.

Jed

Josh Nice said...

cooking in aluminum foil is bad for you! use any dish or pan with a lid for the exact same effect!