Friday, June 29, 2007

mussel man

One dollar nigiri night at Ricksha was enjoyable as usual but this week their uni tasted what I imagine poo to taste like. Still, for a dollar I'll give it a try every week because sometimes it's superb.

I also went to Maaloufs this week and was pleasantly surprised to find that the chicken schwarma was the bomb even though I usually warn people away from ordering it because my experience in the past was that other dishes were better. It was so juicy and garlicky! Maaloufs is the best, as always.

I can't make it because I'll be soaking in the healing waters of the Yuba, but you guys don't forget to go to the sunday farmer's market this weekend. It's so insane right now. I've been dreaming about the peaches and apricots all week and the flowers are beautiful, too. And buy some mussels from the oyster guy. You get a large amount for five bucks and they are really good quality mussels. You could make this dish with them.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun soaking in the Yuba.

For anyone else around this weekend, my shameless hype is that I'm playing second on the bill on Saturday with David Houston at Luna's, 1414 16th St., with Jenney Cooper opening. Got a bunch of new songs, including the just-finished "(You Make Me Wanna Sing Like) Barry White." Show starts at 9 p.m., cover's $6, and it's all ages.

Grwffydd

wburg said...

I avoid the crowds by hitting the Thursday farmer's market at the western edge of Downtown Plaza. It's small, but it has the essentials, and it saves me from having to get up early on Sunday morning. Besides, I'll be all trashed from the opening night of Trash Film Orgy at the Crest Performing Arts Center.

beckler said...

Agent Ribbons were on insight yesterday. I caught the tail end. Listen here

http://www.capradio.org/programs/insight/default.aspx?showid=3400&programid=10

Anonymous said...

We went to Maalouf's last Friday and though the food was excellent (shout out to the fava bean dip), the restaurant was totally empty. I felt bad for them so we ordered dessert and let the daughter pick it for us. Baby Neon got accosted by the belly dancer even after I warned him not to make eye contact. It was really awkward!

Niki

Anonymous said...

There was a table of around 25 people when we were there the other night!

-miller

beckler said...

and the belly dancer was there. i hate the belly dancer, but i like her belly.

beckler said...

hmm..that sounds creepy. what i meant was, "i hate the weird eye contact and pressure to tip and fixed smile that i get on my face when a belly dancer is around, but this one had a cute belly".

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI: Tonight should be extra fun at Birerria Bugambilias. They're having an anniversary celebration, and Mariachi America will be in the house. Hearing "Paloma Negra" while chomping into Bugambilia's homemade tortillas makes me want to say "arriba!"

DB said...

After today, I won't have computer access for at least a week, so now seems like the best time to announce that me and Darcey are going to get married. I proposed Wednesday night and she accepted.

Love to all, Daniel

beckler said...

wow, a wedding announcement on the blog! that's a first! congratulation!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! congratulations!

totally romantical.


love,
gbomb,
The world's last singleton

Cody said...

Woohoo! Congratulations Mr. Barnes!

beckler said...

hey look josh, a Sacramento student sent a bunch of textbooks to Liberia.

http://www.capradio.org/programs/insight/

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Dan!!!!

GW

Anonymous said...

Dan! Congrats!!!!

-michele

Alice said...

that's so awesome! congrats, Dan.