Friday, June 15, 2007

yay ricksha!

So last night I went to Ricksha, where I hadn't been in a while, and I have a confession. When I eat out with friends, I have a need to control where we eat. Sometimes when someone else picks I get a little pouty inside and as the Armeniac had requested Ricksha for dollar Nigiri night I was secretly bridling at this and wishing we could go to Zen Toro instead. What an idiot I am! Ricksha outdid itself last night. I even got dollar uni as a lark, thinking I could just throw it away if it looked gross because it cost so little. I wish I had tried their uni before I wrote that article aobut because it was far and away the best I've ever had! GW would back me up on this if she wasn't out of town today. It was unbelievably sweet and tasty, as was every single other piece of nigiri I got last night, including hamachi, sake, seasoned squid salad (which is the ika sansai salad, prepared exactly like the delicious stuff they sell at oto's), and ikura. And all that with soup, edamame and a giant beer cost like 15 bucks! Unbelievable.

I can't go, unfortunately, but Calvin Johnson is playing at Fools on saturday. I don't know if anything else is going on this weekend.

6 comments:

wburg said...

I forget if I encouraged you to check out Osaka-Ya, across the street from Ricksha, or not. They serve both Japanese and Chinese food, and have prices comparable to Ricksha.

beckler said...

do you mean wakano ura? osaka ya is the market, and i know they have bento sometimes. dude, i wrote an article about it!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Ricksha!
I have been enjoying the hell out of the dollar hald roll nights.
and I have tried the Uni and it was good. On tuesday they were out of the seasoned squid. but I will be back for it.

-Natalie.

Anonymous said...

hald=hand.

-Natalie.

wburg said...

yah, that's right, New Wakano Ura. I still wonder if there was an old Wakano Ura in Japantown. I just remember Osaka-Ya best because I sometimes cry "OSAKA-YAAAA!" loudly as I drive down Tenth Street, and visions of dancing mochi balls bounce around in my brain.

Anonymous said...

Yaki Mochi can be BBQ crushed rice or can mean your jealous. Last Night at the standing bar was 300 yen Nama Biru,200 yen edamane and 320 yen yaki gyoza..Aren`t ya yaki mochi?
Wburg--if ya ever head to these parts. Kumamoto is restarting it`s old steam line.Conductors dressed as Cowboys and Coors in a bottle.I also found a record of japanese steam train sounds from the early 60`s.That`s hella Otaku!!!!
bochi bochi--jay