Monday, August 24, 2009

Box Elders!

I got all Southern for dinner last night. I was inspired by some green tomatoes. I got catfish at Taylor's. It's 8 bucks a pound there, and a pound looks huge but catfish really shrinks up. I tried frying in lard for the first time and it works great! It doesn't smoke. It was perfect for the catfish, but the fried green tomatoes were mushy. It's better to coat them in cornmeal than flour, but I didn't have any. Anyways, if you've never made fried green tomatoes you are missing out. The acidic bite mixed with tomato flavor and fried is a dynamite combination.
The show on Saturday night was really fun, despite a somewhat anemic attendance. Dreamdate were so fucking good!!!!!! I didn't get any pictures during the show because I was busy worrying about djing. They got a full sac experience the next day when we went to the river. By the way, I would love to dj any party or event anytime. Weddings, bar mitvahs, bat mitzvahs, mitzvahs of any kind.
The Box Elders played Luigis last night. I don't know how this show came about, but it was not even on undietacos, so no one knew about it. Scott and I were literally the only two people who came to see them. And you know the kicker? They were sensational. Goosebump-inducing. So I'm so glad I went. Luckily, the show was over by 10:15. Their new album is good, but not as good as they are live.
Do you know about the Ganglians/Crocodiles/ Pens/Graffiti Island show at the Blue Lamp tomorrow? I'll probably go to the Press Club accidentally. I even wrote Press Club at first. These two venues have fused into one in my mind.

16 comments:

brandi said...

Thanks for Saturday. It's rare to like every band playing that much. And the music in between.

yolkie said...

indeed

Snufkin said...

Just looking at that meal is giving me childhood flashbacks. The rule I was always told is that you use white cornmeal. My mom actually used to get a shipment every year from her cousins of a regional brand from Tennessee specifically for things like making catfish, okra and hushpuppies.

beckler said...

I'll check to see if they have that at the co-op today, because I have more green tomatoes.

Snufkin said...

Martha White, that's the brand! Long time sponsor of the Grand Ol Opry http://www.marthawhite.com/about/grand_ole_opry.aspx

undercover caterer said...

I have loads of green tomatoes too--stupid mild summer--and was thinking about fried green tomato BLT.

Have you ever seen the movie "Okie Noodling"? I have been totally freaked out by catfish since seeing it.

Anonymous said...

The Ancient Sons are back this Friday at Luigi's with all new tunes to jam to. The new record is coming along nicely! Come one come all. Check the myspace for mo info

chris

beckler said...

I've heard of noodling. It is interesting. A fried green tomato BLT sounds great, but I don't know if you should use L on it. At least not iceberg. What did you have in mind besides the B and T?

Anonymous said...

I thought you said "I've heard of noodling" in response to the news that the Ancient Sons were playing.

-miller

Anonymous said...

I didn't have cornmeal when I once made fried green tomatoes and ground up corn tortillas in the spice mill. Tasted like a chip. Someone in the house put tapitío on hers. I couldn't be outdone, so I made nacho sauce to completely bastardize it.

-skpr

Anonymous said...

why not use coleslaw and southern white bbq sauce for a BCFriedT?

beckler said...

Noodling is a southern US practice of fishing for catfish using only bare hands. Many other names, such as catfisting, grabbling, graveling, hogging, dogging, gurgling, tickling and stumping, are used in different regions for the same activity. Noodling is currently legal in eleven states.

Anonymous said...

The Ancient Sons should note that it is not legal in the state of California.

Love,
CA Department of Fish and Game

The Armeniac said...

Dude The Sons are so tripped out we don't even know when a noodle changes it's color to the key of the cosmic vibration at the heart of existence. Dig it. Also we don't even exist in California as such but rather in the Idea of California so technically we can noodle all we want, if we what want was.

undercover caterer said...

Noodling is gruesome and you use your arm as bait. The catfish bite your arm. That's just weird.

Back to the BLFriedT--
not sure yet, just toying with the idea. Not iceberg, maybe arugula? Mine is all dead though. Some kind of an herby mayonnaise? Definitely on good white toast. I've never even eaten a fried green tomato, I've only recently begun trying to recover from a lifelong tomato aversion. Wish me luck, the experiment begins this weekend!

beckler said...

i think arugula is too strong. maybe butter lettuce. fried green tomatoes are best warm, so maybe put the lettuce by the bacon. think of it like a mcdlt and keep the hot side hot and the cool side cool