Tuesday, May 03, 2005

You my midga

Just in case you pooped out on reading to the end of that Roger Ebert article about the "m word" here's the end, which is rad. Why the inclusion of the Cockney rhyming slang? Ebert gets more and more eccentric all the time.

From Roger Ebert to Daniel Woodburn
April 16, 2005
Well, I will retire the word "midget" right here and now.You touch on a strange phenomenon: The way members of various discriminated-against groups use words among themselves that would be fighting words if used about them by others. You doubt that "midget" will ever be domesticated among Little People in the same way "nigger" has been tamed among blacks, but actually I think that is just as well. Words that cause pain should be retired, although perhaps during the transitional period they can offer a certain homeopathic relief. I have recently been in correspondence with disabled people over the ending of "Million Dollar Baby," and note that they sometimes use terms like "crip" and "gimp."I am going to share with you an extraordinary Usenet posting about Cockney Rhyming Slang used among disabled Cockneys in East London:
===Mutton Jeff = Deaf.
Canary Wharf = dwarf.
Cardinal Wolsey = cerebral palsy.
Raspberry Ripple = cripple.
Rubber and plastic = spastic.
Tulips and roses = multiple sclerosis.Bacon rind = blind.
Diet Pepsi = epilepsy.
Benny and the Jets = Tourettes.
Wasps and bees = amputee.===

Best,
Roger Ebert=====

From Roger Ebert to Daniel Woodburn
April 16, 2005Dear Mr. Woodburn,With your permission, I’d like to reprint our correspondence in full on the web site.
Best,
RE=====

From Daniel Woodburn to Roger Ebert
April 17, 2005
Dear Mr. Ebert,The mere fact that you have decided to retire the word midget from your work -- which I have watched on PBS since the 70's indeed has made my week. Every significant move forward is huge. My wife always tells me every step, no matter how big or small, is a step. The idea that you publish this on you site honors me further.Regarding the use of "nigger" and "gimp" or "crip." When I have felt a particular closeness with someone of color or disability we have often exchanged those derogatory terms for one another. I think that when you do have that bond and have used those terms with someone in an even, equal exchange, it is then that the words are truly owned. It is a recognition of having defeated the hate that comes with the terms. With regard to Midget I have coined a term on stage that eliminates its impact in much the same way African Americans and Blacks (which traditionally was not capitalized in the same way White was to describe race) have altered the word "nigger" to "Nigga." I have decided that dropping the "t" and changing the "e" to "a" to create Midga deflates the impact. So in closing I would just like to say to you Mr. Ebert -- "You my Midga."
Sincerely,Danny Woodburn
PS. I prefer the Cockney versions of everything.

3 comments:

Alice said...

this correspondence almost made me cry. it's so wacky and endearing!

beckler said...

Alice, Any day where I can almost where I can almost make you cry is a good day for me. Interpret that how you will.

Alice said...

the dreaded repeat phrase in the mono-post. you really are going to make me cry. interpret that how you will.