Monday, April 23, 2007

friday night

I decided to kick off the weekend in a way that supports my luxurious urban lifestyle and sauntered over (oops, I mean got my Hummer valet parked) to the Wine Lounge and Urban Kitchen next to the new Buckhorns on L. Turns out that friday was their soft opening so I plunged right in. It looks pretty generic inside. There are a lot of squares and straight lines everywhere you look (in more ways than one) and the obligatory big TV and Starbucks-style individual small lamps hanging over the bar. The lady working the front desk, while quite nice, did kind of crack us up by saying "this is the lounge and upstairs is the loft" (I'm surprised she didn't say this is the urban lounge and that is the luxury loft) and also by saying in a mom-ish kind of way that the upstairs was "off the hook" but at least she didn't say hizook. I perused the wine list which was quite boring with each type of major wine represented by one choice (one chard, one sauv blanc, etc.) Smiller got a Belgian (which one, I forgot?). We tripped out that they are offering 12 OUNCE BOTTLES of Hitachino Nest white for 12 DOLLARS! Hitachino is pricy, but by that I mean that same size bottle is 4 bucks at bevmo. No one would take our money so we checked went out to the patio and tripped out some more. Why? Because the patio is surrounded by four stories of luxury lofts on all sides. We could see people in their apartments watching TV. I was like, are you kidding me? They must think Sac is a lot classier than it is because pretty soon this courtyard is going to be filled with wasted people puking, breaking glassware, and probably fighting. This place has the buzz of a major hookup spot because the loft area is pretty isolated from the bar and has a semi-private feeling (ha I just wrote primate accidentally). There were nasty chicks there already ripping it up. Also, people are going to be sneaking their underage friends in through the patio exits on both sides. And probably trying to sneak into the pool in the middle. Can you imagine paying top dollar for a luxury loft only to have a nonstop drunken party outside your window most nights of the week? Pretty funny.

Then it was over to the Distillery where I finally got to see the Ancient Sons after weeks of waiting on tenterhooks (ouch). They were really good. Matt Shrug AND the twins? It's an entertainment bonanza. That chick is not in the band but on friday she was their number one fan. On saturday she probably didn't remember they existed.

Then Sacramento did an impromptu set. Remember Sacramento?


Then Rock The Light rocked it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ancient Sons were great. I'm so glad you got a picture of their number 1 fan. I guess her boyfriend slapped her outside and they were both kicked out. I love the Distellery but it depresses me sometimes.

-heckamaxwell

Anonymous said...

Remember when that girl was Swords Award's number one fan at the Blue Lamp? She had a black eye that night. I look forward to the days when her bf is getting ass-raped in prison while serving his assault charge.

beckler said...

hmmm...I am now going to take down the picture just in case. I will replace it with another picture of the ancient sons without the super fan

Alice said...

even more retarded - someone who works with me has one of those "luxury lofts" at that building with the Buckhorns. I went to a b-day party for him last winter and we checked out his apartment. It was really small for a one bedroom and technically there wasn't even a door in between the bedroom and the rest of the studio - ish space. Ok, so he had to give me the code to get into the building so I could get up to his apartment. And, if you know that code you can get into the pool and the spa and I guess maybe slip into that wine bar or something. The code was totally obvious but I won't post it here. It just reitterated to me that the folks running that entire building are giving Sac way too much credit for not being scampunks or dick heads.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
beckler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ha! Ha! I did'nt get to see the picture with "the girl" almost knocking me over! But I have video of it anyway. I felt like Elvis for a split second. Ha! Ha! It was a fun show regardless. Rock the Light, The Mission Satellite & Sacramento were all great. Thanks for the picture Becky! The Ancient Sons play again Sunday, May 6th at The Press Club at 5pm! come out and hang,
chris