Tuesday, April 24, 2007

see how much it looks like the onion?


KW reviewed a Korean restaurant out in the teeny Korean area on Folsom, Hanbat Gomtang (I'm not sure if I've been to this place or not, I don't think so). It's named after a type of soup called Gomtang. I found it a little odd that she speculated on what might have made the soup such a milky color (wrongly, she guessed rice) instead of just googling gomtang to find that it is actually bone broth that is probably milky from marrow (and tripe and other goodies). I knew this because last week I waded all the way through this exhilarating article about L.A.'s Koreatown from the incomparable Jonathan Gold. I don't mean this to be like "I told you so" I just thought it was weird that when everybit of information is a click away she didn't just look. Long story short, she gave it a pretty so-so rating. I'd still like to try it, mostly because it has dishes that no one else in Sac serves.


The SN&R got really busted out in the letters section this week for running that insert of the Sacramento Union (scroll down to Jeff's a whore). I can't decide what I think about it, honestly. The paper is basically a joke but it's too stupid for me to get offended by it. Someone needs to update the wikipedia site. I can't tell who currently runs and owns the union. Googling JC Dutra just leads you back to the wikipedia post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to call attention to Dutch Falconi's letter to SNR. I walked by the new bookstore space at 19th and F last night and it looks really good.

gbomb

Anonymous said...

The Falconi letter seemed like a bit of a stretch. Yeah, why did Richard Press Rare Books get overlooked? Oh yeah, because it's in the upstairs of an old house - accessable only by a narrow walkway next to Michelangelo that you're not even sure you're supposed to walk up. I almost went there once but I was too scared I was gonna walk in on some family eating dinner.

-miller

Anonymous said...

Hanbat is pretty damn yum. I read that review and was shocked it was such a so-so rating.

~wingnut a.