Tuesday, April 10, 2007

la cucaracha and more bitching about Davis

Pretty gross. Someone yelped New Canton about finding a cockroach in their har gow steamer and then posted a link to their county inspection report. That's pretty egregious. I never posted about it, but I ate at New Canton for my Broadway article in MM and I left it out of the review because a)I didn't think the dim sum was that good and b)my dining experience was colored by the fact that I found a large chunk of something metallic in one of my dumpling. A few months ago I saw a big cockroach crawling across the floor at Waterboy though so I guess it can happen anywhere.

On an unrelated note, what the fuck is up with restaurants in Davis? Specifically, small chains that are great in Sac and terrible in Davis. I have found this time and again at Cafe Bernardo, which I finally had to stop eating at in Davis The other day I met some people after work at Bistro 33 in Davis and got a salad that I have often gotten in Sac (the salmon nicoises) and it was so terrible! It was so carelessly assembled that it was like a slap in the face. Guess what it was missing? The nicoise olives, which are what make it a nicoise salad. Also, it was teeny and cost twelve dollars. In Sac the portion is sufficient to serve as a light meal, but I had to keep bogarting food of peoples plates (most of whom I knew) to even approach fullness. Is it because restaurants in Davis are really more for drinking at than for eating?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's summertime! that's cockroach time everywhere in downtown sac! don't know why, but it just is. fuckers are everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Reggae Monkey bogard the food.

-miller

Anonymous said...

After dj'ing @ the G St.Pub I like to feed the roaches french fries next to the Jack & the Box. Starts out with just a few discreetly crawling around, then turns into a hundred or so after busting out the fries. People are so unaware that they exist in Davis that I have to warn them not to walk into the roach swarm. Ahhh, the sanctity of life......

larry

Anonymous said...

Davis has some giant-sized cockroaches -- at least they did in the early-mid nineties. I remember, after late nights studying at the all night study room at Shields, there'd be these huge roaches scurrying around on the sidewalks near the storm drains. I'd assumed that they were some radioactive mutant roaches that came into contact with some runoff from those seemingly unnaturally large pigs at the hog barns.

archbishop said...

Is the $5,000 pita from the Pita Pit too much for you?

http://daviswiki.org/%245000_Pita

Send me a list of good places to eat in Davis. I'm working there but haven't found any place that's great. Posh Bagel and New Delhi Cafe are pretty good, but I want more!

The Hot Dogger ain't bad, but it's no Top Dog. The salsa bar at El Mariachi is great, but the food is just okay. Guadalajara has great food.

Liv Moe said...

If you've already been to the hotdogger than you've pretty much had the best eats in Davis. Although, there is a Mexican place in a strip mall I think near the Nugget that's pretty good. Better than El Mariachi. Skipper, help me out here, what's the name of it? Zia's is good too, but fairly spendy. For all of the $$ in Davis and it being a college town and all, you'd think the food would be better but it aint.

archbishop said...

Yeah, that's Guadalajara (or the place that I just named Guadalajara). I like that place. We'd drive out there from the monkey lab.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is a Mexican joint by Nugget, but I always enjoyed a sandwich from the Nugget deli and an Afri-Cola (made in Germany). It was a bit ridiculous when I was going to school in Davis for them to put an inch of prosciutto on a sandwich though.

-skipper

Anonymous said...

The food in Davis was so bad that I usually just went to AM/PM because one of the worker's was a bit smitten with me and let me have free jerky. Oh, and his name tag said, "Passion."

-- Patrone

Anonymous said...

i know it's really spensive, but i think that little prague is some of the best food in the region. the atmosphere and service are great too.

not to take anything away from trattoria bohemia in sac, but little prague is above and beyond in my opinion.

beckler said...

The only places I eat in Davis are Crepeville (for salad with tofu), the co-op (for sandwich with tofu) and a salad at plutos once in a blue moon. it's like when i'm at work i'm the total opposite of who i am.

leon said...

Wok N' Roll!!!

DJ Rick said...

Cute joke, Leon!

Davis likes to brag in chamber publications about the great number and variety of restaurants here, and I know there's plenty of talk among myopic Davis supremacists that it's so much better a foodscene that Woodland. I call bullshit on 'em all. If Davis restaurants are so great, then why do I drive to Woodland so often to eat? Because (a) everything's closed, or (b) it hasn't been long enough since the last time I revisited one of the few trusted stand-bys.

Davis Noodle City behind Sophia's is worth a try, though. As is the Chinese restaurant in the Westlake Shopping Center. Greek pizza at the Symposium is still Davis' best meal by far.