Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Bad news bears!!


mathau!
Originally uploaded by becklerg.

How good is this movie? It is the Godfather of trash-talking kids sports movies. Why oh why do they have to remake it with Billy Bob Thornton. I knew Walter Matthau, I watched his movies and TV shows, and Billy Bob, you're no Matthau. You're barely even Felix. This movie is a relic from another time. You can't remake it. This movie has kids drinking beer and throwing lit cigarettes at women. Matthau is constantly wasted and at no point during the movie does he renounce drinking or turn his life around. He throws beer in Tatum O'Neal's face when she sasses him! Now I'm making it sound grim, but it's amazing! It totally stood the test of time and confirmed my childhood love.

I am off tonight to do this activity that I think is called "camping". I'm not too familiar with it. But I fear that it may involve things like sleeping outside or interacting with wild creatures in a non-laboratory setting where if they act up I can't just shoot them full of some tranquilizer. I'll still be able to straighten my bangs every day, though, right? Right? I'd like to live blog this "camping" thing, but I'm not sure if they have DSL or dial-up at this ghost town in the desert. I'm assuming it will be dial-up cuz that's more old-timey but I can't stand slow internet service so I might not have the patience to blog. I wonder how those old west people could stand dial up? I guess it was just a different time.

4 comments:

DB said...

I agree that the film is a classic, but if anyone can remake the film and retain the gruff ugliness of the original, it is Billy Bob and Richard Linklater.

Speaking of kids and sports movies, I saw the previews for the new Martin Lawrence-teaches-basketball-to-white-kids-with-hilarious-results movie and I could swear that they just used the same kids as in "Kicking and Screaming".

beckler said...

Don't tell me, let me guess: there's an Asian kid AND a fat kid!

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the Martin Lawrence movie, but in the new Bad News Bears there's a little person or 'midget' as Roger Ebert might have once said.

~lisa ninja

Anonymous said...

I just like watching someone drive around drinking beer while driving (in the daytime) and then bossing kids around. For some horrible reason, that's hilarious.
~Amy