Monday, January 09, 2006

restaurant round up

I did some adventurous eating this weekend and I had mild food poisoning twice. I guess that's the tradeoff. I went to La Favorita by Florin mall and had a bomb-ass meal that included a shrimp tostada and goat tacos. I think it was the shrimp that did it that time. They serve goat tacos (tacos de birria) at Favorita on saturday and sunday. Does anyone know what birria de chivos is? I got nothing on google. I think it's some kind of goat soup. If you've never had the ceviche tostada at Favorita I recommend it.

The second bout of sickness I think stemmed from a salmon BLT at Bernardo. There's a chance it came from a corndog at Denios. I know that most of you would be quick to point the finger at any food from Denios, but this corn dog was so good I refuse to believe it made me sick. Denios was the best as usual. I ate mini-donuts from the mini-donut trailer, tasty tamales (both these places are at Auction Town) across the street, and the aforementioned corn dog. I scored on records, and got a cool lamp base for a buck. The trick for Denios is to go with Ella because she is like a divining rod of good stuff. If you don't know Ella you may not want to even bother going.

I also ate at Tamaya again this weekend and I can't make up my mind whether I think it's good or not. I've been there three times so maybe the fact that I'm not sure should make it three strikes, they're out. Nothing was that great except the unagi nigiri, which was the best I've ever had. If you love unagi then you should try theirs. We also got a bottle of sparkling sake which was pretty interesting. It tasted a bit like sparkling cider.

I think I forgot to mention that I tried Lucca again recently after swearing it off because of the intense saltiness of their food. I got a pasta with tomato sauce and added spicy sausage. The dish was tasty but, once again, the sausage was like a fucking salt cake. There were also capers in the sauce, which added to the effect. Smiller agreed with me that the salt was intense. What the fuck is up with their chef? Is he/she a smoker or something? LAY OFF THE SALT SHAKER. It was still a pleasant meal but I rarely eat there because of this persistent problem.

I also did saturday morning dim sum at Cheung Hing market again and I have to reiterate that you must try it! I snuck a peek into the back and there were half piggies hanging on hooks! Brew said she's seen them delivering entire pigs with hair and everything in the morning. The plump chickens and ducks hanging behind the counter look delectable, too. They have this ancient chopping block where they hack up the meat when you order it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chivo is a word for goat. I don't know what birria means, stew? But I know that when I see birria de chivo, that it's the goat soup.

Niki

Anonymous said...

Beckler,
the thing that I thought was just a framed autograph of the Pope (whoever was pope in 1964) turned out to be a Papal Indulgence, in case the person it was issued to died without being able to receive the last sacrament. I thought they stopped Indulgences after the Middle Ages? It's like a "get to heaven free" card signed by the Pope. I love Denios. Ps, your lamp is cute.

Ella

beckler said...

but I thought birria means goat?! Cuz the tacos were birria tacos. So does that soup translate to "goat of goat". That's a lotta goat. P.S.-sorry if you goat lovers think less of me for eating goat. I love goats, too, and the taco was pretty stringy.

Alice said...

dude. indulgences were one of the main reasons the reformation kicked off. and also a huge reason why luther broke from the catholic church. weird to hear that they are still doing that. sounds like some kind of black market salvation or somethin'.

Anonymous said...

I tried that sparkling sake at a sushi place in the burbs...it was interesting, but it was too sweet for me. Actually, it was a lot like Zima.

-michele

beckler said...

at first my lamp didn't work but then while i was limply laying in bed fighting the cafe bernardo nausea it suddenly turned on. i wish it had happened after i had had a good idea. maybe i had just thought "i shouldn't have ordered the salmon BLT". oh boy, that's not very funny, is it?

Anonymous said...

If you're down in the Florin Rd. area again, be sure to check out La Placita. It's tucked in a strip mall on a barren stretch of Florin Rd. before you hit Power Inn. They make pozole and menudo on weekends, and it's possibly the best in Sac. Most restaurant pozole will never measure to the good stuff that your abuelita makes, (e.g. the gringo-ized pozole @ Zocalo) but La Placita does a damn good job. Their carnitas are really good, too.

Also, brush up on your Spanish and go to Birrieria Bugambilias on Florin Rd. & Franklin. Their homemade tortillas rule, and they have lots of signature dishes from Michoacan, the Mexican state that's known for its weed and cuisine. (maybe it's time someone mixed the two).

beckler said...

Both those places sound exciting. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great, now I have Salt Shaker stuck in my head. I can't wait to try La Placita!

miller

Teeni said...

Okay, I just checked with La M (la emmay) regarding birria. My source says that you almost always see "birria" with "de chivo." To have birria, it's assumed you're having "birria de chivo."

I also did a little research and found out that you can also have birria de pork or lamb. Goat seems to be a little more common though.

I should know this stuff, but sadly don't.
Niki

Anonymous said...

Didn't those fun loving brothers the Medici Popes start the indulgence craze? What a cool concept. Has anyone made an indulgence vending machine yet? Put in your quarter, hope you get original sin.

I miss Denios. I'll have to get out there again soon even if I don't eat yummy (there's that word) gyro sandwhiches anymore.

Anonymous said...

Dave Smith and I posted reams of neon green Indulgences on telephone poles and lamposts all across the country one summer. That was during the ye olden years before he attained the level of Archbishop.

President,
Sacramento Appreciation Society of San Francisco

cakegrrl said...

In defense of Lucca--they do have a really great bartender named Micah...