Monday, January 09, 2006

tortas de vermin

Oh man, I was investigating this place called las tortas chilangas that's on 5045 franklin because everyone on chowhound is talking about it and I came across a health department report that said it was closed recently due to a lack of vermin control. That's not very appetizing but other than that it sounds interesting. Here's a post

I've been there once so far. Had the "Argentina," a torta with Milanesa, Quesillo, and Salchicha. The Salchicha tasted like chicken hot dogs. The whole thing came hot off the grill, literally too hot to handle. It had some onions and pickled jalapenos, but no condiment that I can recall. I would definitely go back to try something else (that doesn't have Salchicha in it!). They also have Parrillada, Pambasos, and Huaraches on the menu. I've heard of Pambasos, but what are Parillada and Huaraches?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"parrillada" means grilled, at least in argentina. probably some kind of beef, maybe a mix of meats? the parrilla is what they call a barbeque/grill.

beckler said...

It probably wasn't clear, but that second paragraph was the post from chowhound. I haven't eaten there yet. Someone replied that a huarache is a quesadilla-type thing filled with beans that has cheese on top. Oh yeah, you've been to Argentine, too, right? You've been everywhere!

Anonymous said...

I think huarache is a sandal, actually. I heard about them in a Beach Boys song. Even smothered in cheese, that can't taste good.

Dave