Wednesday, December 07, 2005

loft living

Anyone have an opinion on or know anything more about this? What a surprise that part of the plan includes lofts. Luxury, natch. Doesn't anyone build apartments or houses anymore or is it all just lofts? I'm going to start referring to my new place as a loft because why not? Who's gonna stop me?

Voisin has not responded. Not surprising because the tone of my post was pretty insulting. I hope it didn't hurt her feelings, but she's got to stop if just for the sake of the caliber of her journalism. It's not acceptable to publish the same column over and over.

I ate breakfast at the Lucky Cafe today for only the second time ever (and the last time was probably in like 95). It doesn't feel like you're in midtown, that's for sure. The bathrooms were pretty unappetizing, unless spiders whet your appetite, but you do walk through the kitchen to get to the johns and the kitchen looks perfectly acceptable. They specialize in different kinds of sausage so if I were a real restaurant reviewer I would have tried the housemade smoked duck sausage or chorizo, but I'm not so I just got the boring one egg breakfast with bacon. It was OK, but I don't really like hashbrowns. The coffee was terrible. Still, it's a cozy little place and I'm sure they do some things well. A big group of peeps went to SubShack on sunday and everyone was raving about the fluffiness of the eggs and pancakes. Next week I am going to try to hit up the shack on thursday night when they have appetizers and wine. I want to eat at 55 degrees soon or whatever that swank new place is called. I also want to eat at Taro's. I want to eat everything, all the time, as a matter of fact.

15 comments:

Alice said...

i heard a gross story about lucky from someone who used to work there. but i won't tell you it unless you don't think you'll be eating there again soon.

beckler said...

go ahead. i ate there mostly out of curiosity and i prefer yuppie-style breakfast to diner style so there's plenty of places i would rather go.

Anonymous said...

I call my basement a "reverse loft." But, I'm edgy.

Gbomb

Alice said...

basically the owners told the wait staff to put the leftover syrup back into the large vat they stored under the counter. there was a strainer over the opening in the vat to catch any crumbs in the syrup both from the little syrup cups AND the plates. i don't know if they still do that though, it was a long time ago.

Anonymous said...

You don't like hashbrowns? That''s positively unamerican. I, for one, am sick to death of the disgusting breakfast potatoes that every god damn place in town serves. I want good old fashioned, fried, shredded hashbrowns. And don't think it's for lack of love for the potato. I love me a potato almost any which way, just not in any form of breakfeast potatos unless it's hashbrowns. That's why I love the Uptown. You get your choice.

beckler said...

I have never like hashbrowns. The outside crispy part is ok but what about the inner, white, parboiled guts? who likes those? like i said, i like yuppie breakfast. i prefer my potatoes with flecks of fresh herbs.

cakegrrl said...

I have heard very good things about Sub Shack. I want to go!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Alice,

Was I the one who told you about the syrup? I was so horrified that I told a bunch of folks after I quick working there. They reused toast too!

Uneasy Rhetoric said...

You can call anything except a single-family detached dwelling a "loft" these days, unless it's a townhouse because those are even cooler.

At some point, somebody is going to start calling all of those 1950s/60s box apartment buildings in midtown "lofts." Then they'll jack up the rents.



Or maybe it's only shiny new stuff that can be called lofts. There oughta be a law!

Anonymous said...

Lofts are supposed to be the big open floor plan ones, with no (or few) interior walls. Of course, that should make them cheaper to build. I'd say townhouses are not considered "cooler", but "classier". The lofts are for the hip, edgy young professionals who want to enjoy all the amenities of downtown living. The townhouses are for older, less edgy professionals who want to enjoy all the amenities of downtown living. Apartments are for the folks already living downtown who are in the way of the all the hipness, edginess, and wealth. Houses downtown are for investors.

werenotdeep said...

I think I'm going to start calling my sinus cavities "Lofts"

Anonymous said...

I love all the apartments and lofts they're building. Property values have dropped in Sac, houses are for sale everywhere, and you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a "for rent" sign.

The joys of investing in land!

People moved here because it was cheap, property values went way up, and then people realized that it's cheap here because the city council sucks and the idea to make this place liveable is to bring in more Hooters and other chain restaurants.

It'll continue dropping which won't stop until the bird flu kills us all.

Anonymous said...

Funny, the Sutter Medical Center expansion is pretty massive... the housing aka "lofts" component is pretty miniscule in comparison to major construction of new hospital buildings, a new children's theater, new parking garages, etc. Expect a non-stop construction zone around Sutter for the next 10 years or more...
-erik

Anonymous said...

I think we should start calling Mike Ross' attic The Luxury Loft.

miller

werenotdeep said...

I was thinking something like that, but couldn't quite formulate the joke. I just can't crank 'em out like you, Miller. But then again, I never was a Miller, I never Milled. But I got a friend in Miller.