Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Another damn review

The comments are acting up today.

The Waterboy was fantastic. When we arrived and looked at the menu I realized I had made a serious miscalculation taking a vegetarian there for his birthday, because this must be the meatiest menu in town. There was only one vegetarian entree! I ordered a glass of the house white to start off and it was really good. Only 5.50 a glass for the house white or red. That's cheaper than the cheapest wine at Bernardo (I think), which is the shitty Paragary brand wine. I got a salad that had smoked trout and cannelini beans with capers, roasted peppers, fennel, aioli and avocado. I can't remember all this, but the menu is on the web, so I'm referring to that. The presentation was gorgeous. It was so pretty! And delicious, although the cannelini beans were really, really firm, but maybe that's just how they are. The birthday Slav got a mixed green salad with sherry vinaigrette. Some of the greens were really bitter and I couldn't identify them. The vinaigrette was creamy. This salad was just ok. None of the entrees sounded good to me (it was still really hot last night, so I didn't want pork chops or anything like that), so it took me forever to decide, and I settled on the dungeness crab risotto with leeks, tomato, and saffron. This was supposed to be a small first course, but they will bump up the quantity and price to make it an entree. I declined, because I wasn't starving. The salad and risotto were plenty of food, so I was glad I didn't get more. The risotto was one of the best things I've ever tasted. There were big chunks of crab and the risotto was creamy and delicious. The Slav and I both thought he was ordering a vegetable and pasta dish because I saw the word "sformato" and assumed it was pasta. The official description was " Sformato of Parmesan and Organic Spinach, Steamed Asparagus, Roasted Beets & Black Trumpet Mushrooms" Turns out that sformato is a kind of souffle, in this case made with eggs and cheese and spinach. It was green and very light. The slav loved it. He had been apprehensive about the beets, but he liked them in the dish. For dessert we split an apple-pecan crostada
with caramel and honey ice cream. This arrived hot from the oven with the ice cream melting on top and the crust can't really be described with words. At least not by me, because I only know a few words.

For a full disclosure of the price, for those of you who are considering a visit, with drinks for both of us and all the food I described, it was 72 bucks total. Steep, but it was so good I felt like it was worth it. I mean, to put it in perspective, just the night before, Mike and I had dropped 30 bucks at El Amigo for just two beers and two entrees and it was terrible.

The Hella show is tonight? Will I go? Probably not. Maybe. I don't know.

Oh yeah, and to the Lipstick Queen who yelled "see you in Hell" at me last night when I was on my bike, you are so cool. Really. I mean that. So awesome. So, so awesome.

No comments: