Wednesday, March 30, 2005

be nice

Woah. Blogger is fucked and I couldn't post all afternoon yesterday.

The comments are getting pretty heated. I'm staying out of the fray. It's starting to look like the Sac indie list down there. Speaking of the indie list, I sometimes hear about what's going on there and I think that maybe I should re-join, but I may have mentioned that I got burned pretty bad in the brief time I was on it and was really embarassed and mad. I didn't realize that if you stepped up and made a statement that you left yourself open to whatever mean thing anyone wanted to say about you. Specifically, and I may have posted this before, I can't remember if I did, but local writer and smart guy Dennis Yudt (who I recognize but have never met) responded to my first post by saying, "Welcome to the indie list. Now shut the fuck up." That did make me feel so welcome. It reminded me of high school. Back then I was afraid to stand up for myself because if I said anything, the other person would have no limits on the fucked-up shit they could say and they could hit me in my most vulnerable areas (figuratively, of course. Well, figuratively and literally, sometimes). I don't like this style of fighting. I think civility is a wonderful thing and that the internet, by rendering the communication indirect and somewhat faceless, makes it OK to just go off on somebody. I'm not the originator of this theory, obviously. Everyone knows this. Anyway, maybe I will re-join that list or the indie chick list. Is it worth it? I welcome your comments on this subject.

I listened to the Pearcy's on the NPR show yesterday and it was quite unexciting. They only got 15 minutes and Jeffrey Callison didn't take any callers. No mention of the skeletons in their closet.

Not much else to post so far. I keep forgetting to mention that I finally went back to the farmer's market at 6th and W on sunday, and plan to visit much more frequently. It's great! Not just boring old veggies, but Sac Baking Co. bread, fresh eggs, hand made cheese, olive oil, honey. In short, everything you could want to make a delicious post-market sunday breakfast. Check this out. If you're not an early riser it seems to go until at least 11:00 so drag your ass out of bed and get over there. Oh yeah, and it's cheap, too.

15 comments:

ACK said...

You should join the Sac Indie Chick list instead. The girls are nice and would never make such a rude comment.

Anonymous said...

The indie list is worth it pretty much only for the hilarity of Miller's posts and finding out about shows. Most (not all) of the mean posters have settled down, now they just ignore you if you post.
I love that Farmer's Market SO much. If I wasn't so lazy, I would write a grant to get funding to make a documentary about it. There are so many cultures mixing and it's all centered around local food. It's one of the best things our town has going for it.

Heather

beckler said...

how do i join the chick list?

Anonymous said...

Since you like to keep your finger on the pulse of Sacto, I bet you have been wondering why the "alternative" youth has been so restless and even more angry. Well, they have changed the format of KWOD and the Sacramento Livejournal community is Up in Arms about it, http://www.livejournal.com/community/sacramento/567743.html
Livejournal is a little hard to read if you aren't used to it.
g-bomb

Anonymous said...

The indie list is basically people talking about shows & restaurants & shit. And there's the occasional mean comment/argument but it hardly defines it. Not too different from this place. By painting it as some hyper negative elitist list, you're fueling the weird "too cool" rep it has & doesn't deserve. Unless you consider Rick Ele the epitome of cool. It's really just local people writing shit at work.

miller

Alice said...

Becky,

I will add you to the chick list. just send me your email address.
i'm at aliceelliott@yahoo.com

Sometimes we have debates over political stuff but we try to never hit above or below the neck. And if someone does, the rest of us conspire to rip her hair out next time we run into her. Just kidding. We're very civil and everyone likes a lively debate but usually we find ourselves agreeing with one another instead of ganging up on anyone. If that happens, I generally try to make mends behind the scenes to keep all the chicks happy cause the list is supposed to feel inclusive and supportive. I hope that's how it feels anyways cause that's the goal.

We also spend lots of time talking about Danny Offer and what a nice gentleman he is. But to strike the balance between boy talk, the girls also have agreed that Nigella Lawson is a hot piece of ass.

beckler said...

Sorry if I mischaracterized the list. I just had a bad experience with it. I guess I'm years behind the times. When it was first in existence I would hear a lot about fights and mean-spirited arguments.

KWOD changed its format? I'll have to check out the livejournal thing after lunch.

leon said...

I hear all the indeechicks talk about these days is Charles Albright's dude.

I second the motion that you join the sac_indie list. All the crumbs from back in the day are long gone.

and...

Last night I spent 10 bucks on ingredients to make salsa! I can't wait until tomatoes are in season and cheap at the sunday market.

Anonymous said...

I like indie chicks best. I lurk on the indie list once in awhile to read crud, but I don't post. Dave Ninja has a movie list that no one posts to anymore, but that always had good commentary that you'd be down with.
~Amelie/Wingnut

Anonymous said...

I like the indie list better. I only lurk on the chick list.

miller

beckler said...

dudes can get on the chick list?

Anonymous said...

I've already said too much!

"mary smith"

Anonymous said...

Hey Leon,

We call him Cap'n Salty over there.

g-bomb

Alice said...

i didn't know miller had snuck on as a lurker on the lady list. that's cool--i'll just make him do that five hour goddess ritual every new member must participate in next time we meet so he's officially annointed a chick-lister.

Anonymous said...

HOT!