Wednesday, March 16, 2005

movie crap


kinski
Originally uploaded by becklerg.

Oh God. I just read that Lars Von Trier is making another movie set in imaginary America.

Here's a description: Manderlay," the second film in a trilogy called "USA - Land of Opportunities." It is a story of slavery set in the 1930s American South starring Bryce Dallas Howard, Willem Dafoe and Danny Glover Release is expected this year.

Slavery in the 1930's? I'm sure he'll have an interesting take on this theme. The reason I read about this (Nicola, if you are reading this, you may want to avert your eyes here) is because he had (humanely) slaughtered a donkey on the set, which caused John C. Reilly to leave the production, but now because of pressure he has decided to leave that scene out of the movie.

Speaking of movies, because I am not that knowledgeable about arty films, I have recently seen my first few Werner Herzog movies, and I am in love. He is the best. Klaus Kinski is also the best. Notice I did not say "so best" because I think that's too cutesy. I was not going to post this entry with a picture but then I found that picture and I had to. Here's a quote from him that I had to write down when I read it: "I am like a wild animal born in captivity, in a zoo. But where a beast would have claws, I have talent,"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what have you seen? i am a huge, huge, huge kinski/herzog fan. i think herzogs stuff is incredibly 'arty' (which is neither here nore there) but he does it so well (and especially with the uber captivating kinski) that you find yourself completely absorbed. his locations alone are enough to draw you in, he has so many amazing long, drawn out shots of landscapes and fog. gorgeous shit.

i've only seen one herzog movie without kinski and it fell pretty flat for me before i turned it off.

i highly recommend kiski's autobiography ("kinski uncut") which is full of incest, hairy pussies, shit talking, and inflated ego. also, there is a documentary about herzog and kinski's relationship called "my best fiend" that is a must see.

beckler said...

I just saw my best fiend. it was good. i like how you can tell that herzog and kinski are both crazy but herzog insists that only kinski is crazy. so far the only one with kinski i've seen is aguirre, wrath of god, but i am going to watch nosferatu soon.

Alice said...

an old co-worker of mine used to tell me stories about the shooting of 'aguirre, wrath of god.' i can't remember any of them right now but they were crazy. i mean, both herzog and kinski were nuts (in a good way). i've seen parts of 'my best fiend' and loved it. i really should get it again.

Anonymous said...

you must see "stroszek" which is the herzog film ian curtis watched the night he offed himself. "nosferatu" took me two nights to get through, i kept falling asleep and having weird dreams, only to wake up to more weirdness.