Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Sandra Dee's reigns supreme

Upcoming shows: Hella is playing next wednesday for 2 bucks. This show will be crazy crowded and it's in a basement. Fire hazard? Yes. I still may go just out of curiousity because I've never heard Hella. And for 2 bucks, the price is right.

Deerhoof will be playing in Davis next month. They're pretty fun to watch. I will probably go. Of course, the Fiery Furnaces show is next month and I can't wait. That EP is so good!

Mike had to coerce me to eat at Sandra Dee's last night. I had been there once, when it first opened, about two years ago and it was sub-par. Last time I went, the place was pretty empty, the service was unprofessional, and the whole place had the stink of failure. It's completely different now. The place was full on a tuesday night with couples and families. The service was good, and the food was the fucking bomb! Sorry, Plantation, Sandra Dee's is way better and quite a bit cheaper, too. I started out with a Red Stripe, because every other beer on the menu was gross, but I quickly remembered that Red Stripe is gross, too. I don't care if it's from Jamaica (is that how you spell it? that looks weird), it still tastes like MGD. Everything on the menu sounded great, but I picked a BBQ chicken sandwich and a side of corn, for a price of (I think) 5.99. Mike got a "wing thing" dinner because he had wanted fried chicken, but most of their meat is barbecued and the fried wings are the only fried chicken on the menu. The food took quite a while but I never mind that and they had a sixers game on. My "sandwich" was actually a pile of shredded meat and sauce on a hot dog bun. The chicken was moist and delicious and I because I had chosen the hotter sauce, spicy as hell. The corn was pretty good, but it came from a can or the freezer which freaked me out. Mike got a white-hot pile of fried wings (I burned my finger on one) with sides of BBQ baked beans and mac and cheese for 9.99. The mac and cheese tasted of both garlic and jalapenos. It was tasty, but I think the Plantation may edge them out slightly in this category. Mike really liked the beans but I thought they were just so-so. But it's all about the meat and both of ours was great. Every single table around us was ordering the ribs, so I think I should try that next time although I haven't eaten a rib in years. The family of four next to us got complete rib dinners including two sides and then ordered 4 sides or ribs as dessert! The BBQ pork sandwich also sounds intriguing, as do the deep-fried oysters, which they offer as a dinner or for 1.50 each. And the catfish. And all the other sides like hush puppies and potato salad. I wish I could go right now. As we were leaving Mike was already asking when we could go back.

I also saw Constantine, which as Natalie said, is not as bad as you think it will be. It's entertaining.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The oyster loaf with spicy sauce is so delicious that it makes me cry.

Bud Lite is better than you think, especially on a hot day. It's a little salty, which is nice.

g-bomb

beckler said...

oyster loaf?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's what they call the oyster sandwich.

Makes ya think, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

me and my lady live right by sandra dee's and have been known to eat there... my lady swares by the deep fried oysters, the green beans, and the sweet potato pie. i lean more towards the brisket sandwich. the soda tastes like rc.