Monday, March 27, 2006

Chanterelle a "winner"?

I've always wondered about Chanterelle. It's one of those old-school Sac places that no one ever talks about. Dunne gave it as close to a bad review as he ever gives, although the headline declared that "dinner's the winner" pretty much contrary to what the review says. He gave it 2.5 starts, I guess out of 4, which also seems a little high when you read the review. And sorry Dunne, but hollandaise sauce can't be "blithe". Are you saying that the sauce was carefree and lighthearted? Oh to be a hollandaise sauce in these troubled times!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky,
you should start posting your restaurant reviews on Yelp.com. It is sort of like Myspace, but for reviews an without all the creepy guys asking you out. I use it all the time to see what people think of SF eateries. Wingnut and I have started to post reviews for Sac, but there are so few of us.

Ally

Anonymous said...

I'm on Yelp and can attest to how cool it is. You could continue your bloggy, and then also cut and paste your reviews into Yelp! They would certainly love you for that!

R

cakegrrl said...

Hey Beckler,
Come on over to Yelp... we're waiting... :)

Anonymous said...

i like yelp.

Anonymous said...

Heh. Ella and I have fond, romantic memories of the Sterling. As for Chanterelle, I was just walking by and a ruffian who I will call "Patrick" yelled at me. He works there peeling potatoes and kissing ass. He is gonna be a part of a bash that he says is for his "birthday" at the Horse Cow, featuring a bunch of "hillbilly" bands. It'll be late May. I'll post again when the date is closer.
Ed

Anonymous said...

Yes, the first, last and only time I ate at Chanterelle, was Senior Prom. Ed and I went together. I picked him up at the Burt House and he had evidently ingested some psychadelics. The alien autopsy he performed on his cornish game hen was really amazing. I don't remember the food, I was too busy watching Ed do that disection next to me. Oh! one of my teachers (the cool photog teacher who looked exactly like Shelly Duval) told me she used to live in the Sterling in the 60's. She lived in the grand parlor to the right of the entry hall. It was a big rooming house full of artists. That would have been cool.

Ella