Monday, March 13, 2006

epic weekend


tobyvail
Originally uploaded by becklerg.

I just found out that I booked my trip to Mazatlan during not just the biggest week of spring break but also during Semana Santa, when many Mexican families go on vacation to the coast. This is not the best news I have ever heard, needless to say. But at least I can PARTY DOWN AT SENOR FROGS!!! WOOH SPRING BREAK 2006 WOOH!

This weekend was epic, mostly because it started for me on thursday night. So much happened it was insane. I need a weekend to recover from my weekend, if you know what I mean.

Highlights:

-Walked around North Beach, saw Jonathan Richman chilling at Cafe Trieste
-Spider and the Webs were great at thee parkside. Toby Vail is a rad frontwoman. EZ we didn't say hi to your friend but he was cracking me up. And Bongo Randy was the funniest thing ever at that moment. The show was pretty sparsely attended, which was surprising. It made me think that all those old riot grrls are too square to go to shows now or something. It was totally Oly style still. They even had real photocopied zines.
-The bananas seriously ripped it up at the show on friday. So fun! And even though I had never heard Captain Nines I really enjoyed them and can see why they're still remembered in Sac. I didn't catch that they had a CD for sale but I'd like to get it.
-Knock Knock was great on saturday and it was exactly the mellow kind of night I needed. Yuck. I really hate the word mellow
-Two big boxes of various kinds of dim sum from Cheung Hing for saturday breakfast. Thanks to Ella I tried some new kinds which were fucking great. I can't believe how good that place is.
-And another delicious meal at Pho Bac Hoa Viet in which I tried a piece of Ella's tendon (OK it was a cow's tendon, not Ella's). It was not as gross as I thought it would be and just tasted like fat.
-I won the cookie bake-off! I will post my recipe later. It's so simple that I have it memorized.

A low light was that last night I decided that it would be a good idea to watch Red Dragon alone in my apartment. Not a good idea. That movie is pretty freaky. The first time I saw it I went to see it in the theater so stoned I could barely handle walking into the theater, which was also a terrible idea. You think I would have learned my lesson last time. Remember that night, DP?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, you hate the word "mellow"?! We have to talk later...

miller

fft said...

it's never a good idea to watch RD at all. which brings us to the hannibal lecter debate: best of the series? Me? ... Mann's film in a runaway, but SILENCE is quite the film. I saw RD dubbed in French and it's a lot cornier in that respect; "je vous presente le dragon rouge!"

Anonymous said...

I love the word mellow!!!

-michele

P.S. Re: Larry the Cable Guy-yeah, I'd never heard of him before. That sucks he's so popular.

P.P.S. Sorry about Spring Break.

Josh said...

During the horribly nightmarish three months that I worked at the SF Lusty Lady I went to Trieste almost every day. It's pretty much the only thing I miss about SF.

Anonymous said...

I always liked Cafe Trieste too. The first time I went there, I was taking a weekend trip to the city with my boyfriend for my 17th birthday (how did I pull that off????). We were super excited because we saw Paul Kanter, and at the time Jefferson Airplane was my favorite band. This was right after we made a (stoned) pilgrimage to the house they all lived in on Fulton Street, and some hippy sitting on the front steps told us that there were buffalo in Golden Gate park. Being super high, I took that to mean that the park was soooo big there were straight buffalo roaming around. I told hella poeple that too, until the time I saw the 30x40 yard pen with a few buffalo that the dude was talking about.

Anyway, that trip made San Francisco seem so awesome to me!

-michele

beckler said...

What places did you like to eat? I know tomassos is crazy good but I have eaten there a few times and need to branch out. I think that Ella recommended Caffe Macaroni Sciue Scieu (is that right Ella?) and it sounds great. It sounds like it's authentic. And I also want to try Capp's corner, which looks American family-style. I wish I was there right now!

Anonymous said...

BECKLER GONE WILD 2006! Yeah!!!!! Let's see some beads!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I bet the line at Senor Frog's is gonna be around the block! I'm still going though. I hear their mexican pizza is the best in Mazatlan.

miller

Anonymous said...

Me and Ben never really found a good Italian restaurant besides Tomasso's in North Beach. That doesn't mean there aren't any, we didn't do an exhaustive search by any means.

I always liked Lococo's in the east bay...Pasta alla Norma!!!

-michele

mt.st.mtn. said...

i lived around the corner from Trieste for years in two different apartments. paul canter was a staple there, he lives in the neighborhood. some of the grateful dead guys (rob weir or bob wassermen, i can't tell old hippie dads apart) and a few weird beat artist types would always be there with him chatting up all the young ladies. best coffee in SF, best pastries too (though you can go around the corner and get them fresh at Victoria Pastry Co., which is where they order them from). Trieste and Golden Boy are the only two places not packed with bridge & tunnel fratboys, worth trying to get a beer at on the weekends.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, James is a funny guy. Did he do anything particularly crazy on stage? Man, I really wish I could have made it to that show. I think they're playing in SF or Oakland on March 26th.

Anonymous said...

The last few times I've seen Jonathan Richman play he's looked really weary with bags under his eyes & kind of a melancholy air but man, he looked like he was 10 years younger than that at Trieste! He was all smiley & had a rad suit jacket on & was excitedly showing someone this Spanish record he'd just bought & he had paper everywhere like he was writing lyrics. I was totally in awe which is actually kinda rare for me. It just hit me all of a sudden what a living legend he is.

miller

Anonymous said...

I can't speak for Matzatlan, (or even spell it.) but if you can get to some of the Semana Santa events, go. The parades are awesome, I loved the Romans with cleaning brushes on their hats and awesome weird catholic floats and you get to see the Jews kill the savior of humanity. Oh, whoops.

gbomb

beckler said...

That comment cheered me up immensely, gbomb. I mean, the idea of all those Mexican families picknicking and stuff sounded cool, but I am kinda dreading the non-stop all night mariachi. But I was hoping there would be benefits to it such as parades. My mom said that our hotel won't be inundated with frat bros, just with families celebrating semana santa.

EZ-James was just amusing because he was buzzing around before they played in this super jittery way and then he changed to a spangly vest to play and had some killer dance moves. Do you know bongo randy? Scott got a cassingle he put out. I think one of the song titles is:
We (can be together in our minds)

Is that right, scott? It cracks me up just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

"Weeeeee....can be together in our m-i-i-i-i-nd"

Anonymous said...

This won't be that big of a deal to you, but I really enjoyed Semana Santa parades because I could stand in the back and still see everything.

gbomb