Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Happy Birthday to Charles! (tomorrow)

Charles is having a birthday show in Davis tomorrow. I'm not going because of the Davis thing (hatred of Davis) but here's the details:

The MegaCools, The International PLayboys (from Missoula), The Pets:The G St. Pub:9:00, $2, 21+ Charles Albrights birthday

I have heard some things about those hard-partying, promiscuous bands from Missoula, so go there and you might get some action. Or maybe you can take the pets home with you for a three-way. Not saying that they're into that kind of thing.

Tonight th' Losin' Streaks are playing at Capitol Bowl. Capitol Bowl is rad, so if you haven't been there, now's your chance. Rock The Light was listed on the show the other day but now it just says TBA. It's around 700 and it's in the bar so you have to be over the hill like me to get in.

I'm a little late with my Animal Collective review because of my extended hiatus but it seemed like it had pretty mixed reactions from people. Some loved it, some hated it. Some felt the sound was too terrible to deal with. It depended on where you stood. I started out up front and the sound was OK, if you moved farther back behind where there was a big metal pipe-thing on the ceiling, that thing was catching all the sound and muffling it in a pretty crazy way. As I mentioned I stood up front at the beginning until I was pushed out by a crowd of young men that was partially composed of two bros that I'll call Sacto caveman and sac Chris Farley. I believe that the story of these bros is that they have liked Animal Collective for a while and are bummed that they are now so popular and poppy and that little kids are coming to their shows. They wanted to show that they were original fans by being the most obnoxious they could possibly be and trying to ruin the show for everyone around them. They did this by yelling stupid things like "sigma chi motherfucker" at ear-splitting levels over and over, pushing, and taking off their shirts so that their sweatiness would touch everyone. Annoying. But as I said, there were TONS of young people in the crowd, including many teens. Some were wearing headlamps a la the Geologist and some had their faces painted and were wearing feathers in their hair. Smiller pointed out a girl with her face painted, but who was wearing mismatching sweatpants and a sweatshirt. It's odd to go to that much trouble and then bust out with sweats. These kids were pretty cute and Animal Collective was obviously stoked on their energy. Their set was similar to the one they played a few months ago, mostly songs from Feels and Sung Tongs, and a new song or two. The Library is just OK as a venue, but it would be cool if it brought more bands of this size to Sac. I enjoyed the show but I'm still bummed that my too-stoned freakout ruined the one at the Great American for me. That one seemed like the best.

5 comments:

Jeff M. said...

I saw AC at the Fillmore, and the sound was terrible there, too. Too much gunk in the low-end. But reading your review I am wishing I had seen them in sacto, because it sounded like people were having fun. At the fillmore about 85% of the crowd just stood there as if they were waiting for a bus or something, which prompted me to overcompensate dance-wise and make a fool of myself. I don't know how you can or would want to just stand stock still with all that primal (and fun) energy flying around. A lot of people were getting stoned, so maybe they were dancing inside their heads, as it were, but it still seems like a waste of an awesome boogie-down to me.

Anonymous said...

Beckler and all,
Harry's Cafe is open again after being closed for 2 months because of Harry accident. They changed the menu to all Chinese and Vietnamese food. It is pretty basic and simple but good.

Anna

Anonymous said...

Hecka-sac-xwell!!!!

Have heard about the new Nessie theory? That it was actually an escaped elephant from a traveling circus swimming? I can't link to the article because it was in the Brown Daily Herald this morning (not online).

Of course, you probably have heard about it.

-michele

Anonymous said...

About the Nessie/elephant article:

If you go to the article from the fark site, you shouldn't have any trouble getting there.

Unfortunately the theory totally makes sense, since Nessie was first spotted in the early 30s and that was when a lot of travelling zoos were coming through that area. The elephants would go into the Loch to wash off and fuck around like elephants aparently are wont to do. The researcher said the original pic was most likely supplied by a publicity whore zookeeper who offered a reward for Nessie when he had "nessie" at his zoo all along. Too bad. I have always hoped that there really was a giant sea creature there. Bummer.

Anonymous said...

surprised heckamax hasn't chimed in yet, but, while some of the nessie sightings may have been elephants, i suppose, there are legends going back fourteen hundred years. and more "recent" sightings ranging from the 1800's to last year. but 1933 was the first time of mass publicity about it, when a circus proprietor offered a huge reward.