Wednesday, March 08, 2006

music news

If you like Belle and Sebastian and you have the technological means to do it, you should listen to Stuart's interview on fresh air. I got choked up a couple of times. It's a really good interview and you can tell Terry Gross and Stewart were thick as thieves (for an explanation of that idiom, go here)

You eastcoasters are going to have some chances coming up to go see Josephine Foster, and you shouldn't miss out. I wish I could see her live again! I'm planning a fantasy trip to Quebec on June 2nd to see her, but there's about a one percent chance of that. Here are her east coast dates:

Mon, May 22, 2006 Tonic New York NY w/Cherry Blossoms
Tue, May 23, 2006 Brooklyn Fire Proof Brooklyn NY w/ Cherry Blossoms
Thu, May 25, 2006 Cafe Nine New Haven CT w/ Arizona Drains
Sat, May 27, 2006 Pioneer Arts Easthampton MA w/Arizona Drains
Sun, May 28, 2006 AS 220 Art Space Providence RI w/Arizona Drains
Fri, Jun 2, 2006 Casa del Popolo Montreal Qbc

I'm going to see Spider and the Webs (dumb name) tomorrow in SF at theeeee parkside. It's Tobi Vail from Bikini Kills band and I have multiple reports that they're really good live so I'm excited about that. I plan to do a lot of walking around the city the next day and eating because, just between you and me, I have been feeling a strong need to get out of sac more lately.

There is quite a bit going on this weekend. Too much almost. Friday is the Bananas/Captain Nines show at Old I. This band was before my time so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. I guess Tom from the Knockoffs was in it way back in the day and now it has reformed for one show with some fans on the other instruments. Is this right? After that show I am going to try to catch the show at the Fools Foundation. A band called Dengue Fever (Jed's arch nemesis) is playing. It's like Cambodian pop music or something. Boy, I'm a font of information here.

Saturday is Dillons dirty thirty in Oakland, and in sac there are dueling shows, Four Eyes at the Distillery and Knock Knock and Carquinez Straights at the Fox and Goose. And a cookie bake-off that I want to win with my family recipe of Russian tea cookies!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Knock Knock/C Arquinez Straits/Forever Goldrush show is actually at Old I. The F n' G has Army of Trees and a couple others. Both should be good, though.

Anonymous said...

Knock Knock is at Old Ironsides.

We are first!!!

-heckamax

beckler said...

There I go again, distorting the facts in an attempt to bring down local businesses.

beckler said...

heckamax-any verdict on bitter tea?

Anonymous said...

Captain 9s were great. When the beat was way out on J or Folsom (or even H?) I found one of their tapes for like a buck. It was six songs that were so fucking dumb as to be great. This was the mid-late 80s, so most of the bands around were totally serious and crappy at the same time, so any band that could make me laugh was the best. There were songs about firemen starting fires and a killer cover of Rockin' Robin. Whenever I've gone to Old I post-No Kill I, I am allowed in and then not allowed back in if I go out for a smoke, so I'll be missing this one. Go see them. (Especially if that nutty Lee Ash is going to be there.)

cakegrrl said...

And I thought you were going to be a judge, Bakester... :)

Anonymous said...

Let me remind you that as a cookie-off judge...I am accepting bribes.

-Ally

Alice said...

um, do i love me some russian tea cookies or what? seriously, when i worked at a bakery in high school, those things were like a food group to me. you're already getting in good with one of the judges, hecka.

Anonymous said...

I want to go..I haven't seen them since they first started playing. say hello to james for me!!! He's the one with the black hair.

Anonymous said...

the guitar player with the black hair, i should say. and i don't really expect you to say hello. i will just send him a psychic message. i have to work so damn early in the morning the next day that i just dont think i can make it.

Anonymous said...

Four Eyes are playing last at distillery

mt.st.mtn. said...

Dillon?
http://flickr.com/photos/96929585@N00/106063239/in/set-72057594071708179/

Anonymous said...

It looks like Dillon but also doesnt look like him.

dave ninja

beckler said...

that's dillon, but he's much more handsome in person.

Anonymous said...

Dillon!
http://flickr.com/photos/riblet/55619162/in/set-1671494/

Dillon again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/riblet/70596198/

Niki

mt.st.mtn. said...

all the lurking dillon you can handle. "sacto's official lurker".
http://flickr.com/photos/riblet/55619162/in/set-1671494/
http://meshsf.com/admin/meshplogger/index.php?level=picture&id=345

Anonymous said...

Hey Beckasac,

I haven't listened to Bitter Tea all the way through more than once, but, like other Fiery Furnaces, I've started out kinda hesitant. I think I'll end up liking it because today I was listening to it and totally getting into a few songs. The students who were in my room at the time said this:

"Mr. Maxwell, what is this music? It's freaking us out."

I told them it was good for them.

-heckamax

Anonymous said...

Dude, the capt 9's dude

Crazy, My seven inches burned up in a fire 10 years ago.

Im so stoked!!!

Anonymous said...

yummy, yummy, yummy, I got blood in my tummy, and I feel like drinking some more.

Gimmie back my hammer so I can smash you down to size

I aint taking no bath, so you can shove it up your ass

Anonymous said...

This show was set up because Tom's putting out a CD of all the Captain 9's stuff - which I believe he'll have for sale tomorrow. So you can get all the old 7"s back. Kinda.

miller