Thursday, March 09, 2006

cute old ladies at the crest

Ballet Russes is opening at the Crest. I don't think a movie preview has ever made me tear up (twice!) before so I will not miss this fine documentary of old people being cute as hell.

Speaking of theaters, I'm still waiting for a piece on the IMAX from the former writer of the Sacramento Comment, but in the meantime, here's a link to an editorial in the Bee that a coworker sent to me. It was in the paper the night before the vote and it urged the city to look into the matter further. They didn't take the advice.

K.W. reviewed Moxie in this week's news and review. I want to take exception with the just barely above average review, but I can't really. Like K.W., I think I want to like Moxie more than I do. They really do need to step their game up a bit. However, she's really annoyed at how dark it is in there, which I've never noticed before. I mean it's dark, but I never thought it was too dark. I wonder if she only went once? Because it's possible someone just leaned on the dimmer too hard that night. I would have liked some analysis of the wine list, especially because of their unusual policy of offering them all by the glass. I tried to muster up an argument against calling it "dated" but there is a certain 80s flavor to the whole place, as opposed to a classic feel. Biba's looks hella dated to me, too. When was the last time the News and Review reviewed that place? I would be curious to see how it would measure up.

3 comments:

beckler said...

I don't know if anyone actually read it, but I like how the editorial mentions Tower at the end as next in line for city welfare.

Anonymous said...

do you have a link for "Sacramento Comment"? little copy-paste snafu there...

beckler said...

It's a link to the news and reivew article about the death of the comment

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=oid%3A13781