Friday, March 17, 2006

haps at the Kab

I am reallyreally going to try to make it to the Kabinet to see the movie this sunday. Here's the description:

Daisies
Vera Chytilova, 1966
Two young women without vocation or moral compass wreak havoc across Prague in Vera Chitylova's groundbreaking experimental feature. The hair-thin storyline -- involving casual seductions and careless destruction of property -- provides the perfect excuse to engage in cinematic trickery, brilliant color schemes, visual puns...and just the sort of behavior your parents always warned you against. This is experimental cinema with a wicked sense of humor -- and unforgettable imagery: butterflies, apples, rainbow train tracks, chandeliers, and milk baths. For all you cinephiles: think of this as the Bizarro-world version of Celine and Julie Go Boating -- but at less than half the running time

Other notable upcoming movies are Thieves Like Us (yay!!) and Two Lane Blacktop, which has Dennis Wilson in it. Smiller, it would be great if you could give out your Dennis Miller comp at this event, but I know you probably won't have time to compile it before April 16th due to our plans for SPRING BREAK 2006! WOOH! MAZATLAN! SENOR FROG'S!! WOOH!

Review of Spataro's:

#1-first things first-please don't even tell me that you only offer one sparkling wine by the glass and that it is a nasty prosecco that tastes like Marinelli's sparkling cider. I'm not even trying to hear that.

That complaint out of the way, my other glass of wine was an Italian varietal I had never heard of called soave and the glass I had was scrump. Very flowery but not very sweet. Also it was rad that when I asked about it our server brought me a taste so I could decide.

The place was packed to the gills with suits at eight on a wednesday. This place is obviously doing well. It was OK inside, not as flashy as Masons but more cozy with lower ceilings, lots of light wood, and dim lighting.

They brought us bread to start and one of the two types of bread was a harbinger of the salty, salty food to come. It was a good focaccia that was crusted with rosemary and sea salt. Tasty, but too salty. There isn't a current menu online so that you can see what I mean, but the menu we got was pretty brief and none too appealing. I struggled to find an appetizer or salad that I wanted. I settled on saltcod fritters just out of nostalgia for the nasty bacalhau in Portugal. There were three fritters which resembled hush puppies. They came with a "garlic sauce" which seemed mayo-ey and not garlicky. The fritters packed a salt wallop but were tasty. By this time I was salted out and sucking down the white wine (water is sooo boring to drink). Scott liked his beet salad but come on, does every fucking restaurant have to have a beet and cheese salad now? Can't they do something creative with the beets? I ordered linguine con vongole (linguine with clams). The clams weren't very tasty. They were spongy and bland. The sauce was just an olive oil sauce with way too much undercooked garlic and (you guessed it) salt! Scott got spaghetti carbonara and it was a standard, heavy version of that dish.

The fish selections on the menu sounded more ambitious and may be better than the pasta but I wasn't about to risk spending that much money unless they could do basic pasta well, so I'm not sure about that. I probably won't go back. We were lucky that a big chunk of this check went on gift cards or I would have been bummed on how much I spent. I heard that a chef or two left recently, and when Scott ate there before he liked it better, so maybe the quality has gone down. Overall, a bust but at least I discovered soave veneto!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Smiller, it would be great if you could give out your Dennis Miller comp at this event..."

Yes folks, all Dennis Miller's most heeelarious skits in one handy compilation! Audio only - you'll have to just imagine that smug look.

beckler said...

I wrote dennis miller? i'm an idiot.

beckler said...

although scott does love dennis miller. he loves any miller. especially barney miller.

beckler said...

did anyone else catch that npr morning edition report today from the pocket? it was about the levees and how fucked the pocket it.

beckler said...

God, can't i write anything corectly?!

beckler said...

I did not spell that wrong on purpose. I shit you not.

Anonymous said...

5 comments in a row is a new Heckasac record!

-dennis miller

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for plugging this week's movie. I don't think you'll be disappointed -- and even if you are, hey, DIASIES is only an hour and 15 minutes. Hope you can make it, and please say hello if you do...

J.

beckler said...

You will know who I am because I will be taking giant bong rips. And also because of my intense indie-ness.