Monday, March 20, 2006

The Kabinet!!

The Kabinet is great! It was exciting to roll up and see a small, varied crew of film lovers. They have a cute little space with a cloth screen that they project DVDs on, and right now the walls are covered with 500 poems from the poems for all series that Richard Hansen has published.. For three bucks you get admission, some Charles Shaw or juice, and popcorn. And you can bring your own brew or wine if you want! There was something very fun about watching a movie in public and drinking an Anchor Steam. J. Greenberg spoke a bit about the movie before and after. It was really experimental, but I like my experimental film to include cute Czech girls in bikinis, so I was happy. This next sunday they are having a crazy double feature that starts early (at seven). I'm bummed cuz I don't think I can go, but they are having two films from the director of El Topo, with tarot card readings and other kinds of tomfoolery between films. Here's J.'s description:

But be warned: these aren't films for the faint of heart. Violence, nudity, and various bodily functions are the rule, rather than the exception. So no hard feelings if you feel these films might not be your cup of tea. But Jodorowsky's intention is less to shock than to SHAKE: to use the power of cinema to rouse people from their slumber and get them thinking about where we're at, how we got here, and where we're headed next. If anything, his films feel even more relevant today than they did when they were made some 30 or 40 years ago. He's a true cinematic savant, and this is sure to be a night to remember...

And speaking of violence and nudity, there is a locally produced film called Palace of Stains premiering at the Crest this friday night. The trailer was NSFW, but I braved it anyway and glimpsed some local folks, including ol' KLJ.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope ol' doesn't become a permanent part of my moniker, of course saying that hear may just assure that it does. But yes, do go see Palace Of Stains. It promises to be a fun ride, and J. Greenberg was one of the guest directors.

Anonymous said...

I can't figure out the place's website..can someone tell me where the place is? And that (El Topo)is THIS Sunday? What time?


Thanks!
-- Patrone

Anonymous said...

I bet ol' KLJ would know.

miller

beckler said...

Just click on "now screening" on the right. And it's not El Topo, it's two movies by that same director. I mentioned El Topo cuz I've heard of it. And don't forget Two Lane Blacktop coming up in June!

Anonymous said...

Larry Rodriguez is gonna shit! It's pretty great that someone's doing all this...is this all Hansen?

- patrone

beckler said...

I think it's mostly J. Greenberg's deal, but Hansen was there last night collecting the money.

Stephen Glass said...

Too bad the deal to have Jodorowsky make "Dune" in the mid-70s fell through. We can only imagine.

Anonymous said...

Kabinet's on 25th between Q and R.
It's behind The California Stage and The Space, which are on R between 25th and 26th.
You turn into the gated parking lot that it shares with the Frenchie French French Thing and there it is.
Wow, Two Lane Blacktop, great moody flick.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky/Beckler/Heckasac,

Thanks very much for the glowing write-up! I'm glad that you finally made it out to a flick, and that you had such a good time. Hope you'll join us again soon...

To your readers: yes, we are showing a double-bill of Jodorowsky this Sunday, March 26th. We'll start with FANDO AND LIS, his long-lost first film, then after Tarot readings and other "tomfoolery" we'll screen THE HOLY MOUNTAIN. (Oh, and to the person who mentioned Jodorowsky's failed attenpt to get DUNE made: frank andrick, who's helping me put on this event, knows a bit about the background of that project, so be sure to come out and pick his brain.) Our screenings usually start at 8pm, but this one will begin at 7...

Oh, and TWO LANE BLACKTOP is actually next month -- on Sunday, April 16. The print, by the way, is pristine...

J.

P.S. Let me second Keith's suggestion to all: don't miss this Friday's screening of Bob Moricz's latest film, PALACE OF STAINS. Between that and Jodorowsky, you can bookend your weekend with crazy, profane filmmaking! Ol' Keith, by the way, plays a televangelist with, like, six or seven pregnant wives. And that's probably one of the least shocking elements in the film...

Anonymous said...

"The apocalypse is now! Americans know this, that the only hope is the flying saucers. Do you know how I see the world? Like a person who is dying. It's a worm who is dying to make a butterfly. We must not stop the worm from dying, we must help the worm to die to help the butterfly to be born. We need to dance with death. This world is dying, but very well. We will make a big, big enormous butterfly. You and I will be the first movements in the wings of the butterfly because we are speaking like this."
~ ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

Wow, I hope their copy of Fondo & Lis is from a good print, because the one I have is totally unwatchable. I read that it caused a riot at it's first showing in Mexico.

Holy Mountain is just incredible. It's chocked full of symbolic imagery & meaning. Like most ancient myths, they shouldn't be dismissed as nonsensical, for Alejandro put a lot of philosophical & spititual thought into each frame of his movies.

I highly recommend Google searching for his interviews. That cat always has something shocking and insightfull to say.

larry r.

Stephen Glass said...

I wish I could make it on the 26th, but I'm a bit far afield. Damnit. The theatre where I used to work years ago had a stolen 35mm print of "El Topo" in its secret hidden room of mysteriously missing movie prints. Dang, I knew there was some stolen property I forgot to steal when I left that place -- I'd gladly fork it over. In any case, Beckler should do the brain-picking on the legendary Orson Welles/Pink Floyd/Salvador Dali/Moebius "Dune" that never happened and give me the rundown. Between the massive bong rips, of course.

Anonymous said...

"All Hansen." I love the sound of that. Or, "All Hansen, all the time." But Kabinet film screening-wise, it really is all J. Greenberg. I get sidekick status, free popcorn and I'm skimming from the take (but don't tell J...)

--Hansen

Anonymous said...

I love Jodorowsky a TON, but Fondo and Lis is pure torture. It's probably the worst movie I've ever seen. Maybe just be prepared to take a little walk during that one? It will eat your brain if you try and watch it.

Oh my god, just thinking about it!
ARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!! No wonder folks rioted.

Larry, you are right, "unwatchable" is dead on, although not due to image quality!

Ella